RU 486 OTC or by prescription?

iVillage Member
RU 486 OTC or by prescription?
Sat, 08-08-2009 - 8:29pm

I thought about this in another context and thought it might make an interesting discussion here.

RU 486 (Mifepristone) is currently available by prescription only in the U.S. I remember reading criticism from some groups at the time it was approved by the FDA (2000), who argued that this would limit women's access to abortion.

Do you think the fact that it's available by prescription only limits women's access to abortion in this way? Should it be available OTC? Should more/less restrictions be placed on its distribution? Why?

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks to Heather (blessedmom0508), Keisha (mommy-la-roo) and Spencer (gespenst) for the beautiful signatures!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 9:39am

Yes, this. All of it.

I also think follow up is necessary even if it's a how are you feeling appointment. Just to check that the woman isn't brushing off complications because she's worried she might be found out by someone in the family/friends.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 9:47am
She's talking about the abortion pill. You're disregarded ;-)
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 9:53am

*crawls under the rug and hides*

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 2:42pm
You know, I thought your post seemed a little out-of-context. No worries. You're not the first to confuse the two. When I was trying to do some searches about this particular issue, I found a handful of PL websites claiming that making Plan B (the morning-after pill) available OTC was making the abortion pill available OTC.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks to Heather (blessedmom0508), Keisha (mommy-la-roo) and Spencer (gespenst) for the beautiful signatures!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Powered by CGISpy.com

Thanks

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-15-2009 - 11:18pm

If RU486 were made OTC I would like to see other drugs like my anti-epilepsy meds made OTC too....cuz you know it's such hassle to have to go to the dr everytime I need a refill and have my Dr

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 1:13am

Does it have to be an either/or situation? Couldn't women have easy access to RU 486 and not have to jump through hoops to get other medications, too?

"and that IMO is much more time sensitive and medically imperritive then a woman who can't take 4 hours out of her day to drive to PP cuz her condom broke ( come on I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here;) )"

That comes across as very flippant to me. I think for a lot of women it's far more difficult than just taking "4 hours out of her day" to access help. Like I said in my original post, there is one clinic that I found in my google search that offers abortions in the entire state of Kansas. That would mean, should a girl or woman need RU 486, she would most likely have to drive 4 hours one way or, quite possibly, cross state lines to seek it. What if that woman is a single mother and can't afford to lose a day of work? What if it were a 17 year old girl who doesn't have anyway to get that far (no car, can't miss school, etc.)?

Surely, if a girl or woman really wants it, she'll find a way to get it. But the question was would it make it easier for it to be OTC. The answer to that question is yes, of course. But would there be other things to work through? I'm sure. Would you care to discuss those?

Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 4:24am
What about a middle ground? Not OTC, due to possible health risks, but able to be prescribed by the family doc/PP/ER/any GYN after a quick check.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 4:59pm
I think that would be great! The problem is finding doctors willing to prescribe it. It would seem to me that prescribing RU 486 would be far more discreet than performing surgical abortions. But I highly doubt I could find a doctor anywhere around me that would prescribe it.
Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 5:18pm
That's a pity. I don't think GYN's should be allowed to opt out.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-16-2009 - 9:15pm
I agree entirely. If an ob/gyn wants to opt out of surgical abortions, I can understand that. I imagine it takes special training and special facilities to perform them and not all ob/gyns are equipped. But to prescribe RU 486? I definitely think it should be a facet of their services and not something extra that they can opt out of.