Stickland signs HB 314

iVillage Member
Stickland signs HB 314
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 5:09pm

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/BillText127/127_HB_314_I_Y.html

On March 21st, Governor Ted Strickland signed into lawa, H.B. 314, the Ultrasound Viewing Option Bill.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 5:26pm

<>

He's pro choice. I have no worries he will continue to uphold women's reproductive choice and keep this country truly FREE for women as well as men.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 5:32pm

Although as I sit and watch the once great state of Ohio crumble under his, um, leadership, I have to say that I am glad he signed this bill.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 5:50pm
The Great Crumble started under previous leadership. Ted hasn't been there that long, LOL! The DH and I have watched so many companies (Little Tikes, Rubbermaid, Step 2,et al) outsource all of their machining to Mexico and China during Bush's Reign of Terror. It's so nice to have our entire economy tied to one who's poised to crumble under its own weight.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 5:58pm

"The bill requires doctors to lprovide a woman the opportunity to view the active ultrasound image of her unborn child and an opportunity to receive a physical picture of the ultrasound image."

Were women previously denied the option to view the ultrasound? I have never heard of any such case where a woman asks for and is refused the ability to view her ultrasound. Never.

melissajune21.jpg picture by ambersspace

&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 6:10pm

"Were women previously denied the option to view the ultrasound? I have never heard of any such case where a woman asks for and is refused the ability to view her ultrasound. Never."

That is a great question.

"It is right to be contented with what we have, but never with what we are."

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 6:22pm

I agree with you 100%. This whole thing seems kind of like a moot point.

From my own experience, I was not only able to view the whole ultrasound, but the tech also printed a copy of the ultrasound photo out for me. And yes, *gasp* this was at a so-called "abortion mill".

**Forgive the snark--it was directed at the term "abortion mill" and not you MM. It's been a long day :-)

melissajune21.jpg picture by ambersspace

&nbs

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 6:22pm

"The bill requires doctors to lprovide a woman the opportunity to view the active ultrasound image of her unborn child and an opportunity to receive a physical picture of the ultrasound image."

"Hopefully, by requiring abortionists to show the ultrasound (much like they would an x-ray in any other medical procedure) it will help reduce abortions further."

These two statements do not mean the same thing. Unless you have data to show that the doctors were actively denying women the ability to have an ultrasound, this law doesn't require doctors to show anything to their patients that their patients don't want to see.

The way I understand it, abortion doctors usually have to do an ultrasound anyway to confirm length of gestation and the corresponding appropriate procedure to terminate the pregnancy.