Debate this list: 101 Reasons to BF

iVillage Member
Debate this list: 101 Reasons to BF
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 12:56pm

http://www.promom.org/101/

I found this list while trying to find information a different BFing subject and thought it might make good fodder for debate.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 4:09pm

The only points I didn't like were these listed below,

Lee

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 4:50pm

I thought overall the list was good, and liked the studies provided. However, I thought some were just opinions (for example, that apart from less incidence of eczema that the skin feels better in BF babies, or that they smell better), and some are more situation dependent or debatable. For example, breastfeeding is certainly easier for many mothers, but can certainly be more difficult for others (such as BF problems, diet changes, working and pumping, dad taking night feedings, etc).

Much of the studies sound good to me, but there are some I am more skeptical about, either because I have not heard it before (and I wonder if it is just one study or more supported). There is one in particular that stood out since I have not heard it before and it is a very old study:

90. Better social development
The psychomotor and social development of breastfed babies clearly differs from that of bottle fed ones and leads at the age of 12 months to significant advantages of the psychomotor and social capabilities.
Baumgartner, C.,"Psychomotor and Social Development of Breast Fed and Bottle Fed babies During their First year of Life". Acta Paediatrica Hungarica, 1984

"Do you think it might "cause" any feelings in a FFing mom who wanted to BF (but was unable) if she found it? "

I am one such mother, and didn't have any negative feelings.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
happily married

bookworm

gay rights

intact

Rear facing

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 5:35pm

"Much nicer diaper changes
The bowel movements of breastfed babies smell mild and inoffensive. The same can not be said about those of formula fed babies. Try changing a few formula fed babies if you are uncertain about wanting to try breastfeeding! "

Several years ago, I overheard two male co-workers talking about breastfeeding.

Cathie

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 7:25pm
Many people will be disappointed to know that it smells the same and it is a runnier stool for longer.

Lee

Lee

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 8:31pm

<>

Do you mean that an exclusively breastfed baby's poop smell exactly the same to you as a formula-fed baby's poop? While that may be your experience, I know a number of mom show have smelled both BF and FF baby poops and definitely preferred the BF poop. Now of course that is just their perception and opinion but it's still a valid one just as your is.

While I can understand having some tact about this claim and not telling some individual FF mom her baby stinks due to formula which is just rude and unnecessary but I don't feel that making the general claim that many people seem to prefer the smell of BF poops over FF poops as a benefit if BF'ing, offensive or wrong. If you want to argue that it's not true then I would like to see a survey on the subject that backs that up otherwise it's all just anecdotal?

Photobucket

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 8:41pm
Whatever, I guess the right answer was I agree with all 101 reasons to BF.

Lee

Lee

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 9:38pm

***Many people will be disappointed to know that it smells the same and it is a runnier stool for longer.***

I guess you're saying that your experience/opinion is that BF poop and FF poop smells the same? (just clarifying, b/c I wasn't sure if that's what you meant)?
I'm sure everyone's experience/perception is different, of course, but my own experience, with my own exclusively BF babies, vs. my one early FF baby, vs. my exclusively FF nephews, vs. the many FF babies I cared for when I worked in the infant rooms at various daycare centers...the BF baby poops were not nearly as stinky as the FF baby poops...not even close.

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 10:06pm

Whatever, I guess the right answer was I agree with all 101 reasons to BF.

No, there's no "right answer," it's a debate.

Someone posts a statement, someone posts a counter point, and then it's debated.

In this case, one of the statements was that BF poop smells less offensive, you stated that you didn't believe that was the case, and several people countered that with their own experiences.