News: What do breastfeeding and sex have in common?
Find a Conversation
|Tue, 08-07-2012 - 4:48pm|
Breastfeeding and sex share something in common and it isn't just breasts. It's the apparently irresistible urge of some people to force their personal beliefs on other people.
The stated desire of lactivists, like those promoting the Latch On NYC breastfeeding program, to "protect" breastfeeding bears an uncomfortable resemblance to the stated desire of religious fundamentalists to "protect" virginity from the "dangers" of premarital sex, or to "protect" marriage from the unspecified "dangers" posed by gay people who deeply believe in the institution of marriage and wish to participate in it.
All three efforts share many things in common:
1. All three, breastfeeding, virginity or marriage, are in not in need of protecting by anyone.
2. All three are the business of the participants and no one else.
3. "Protecting" in this context is merely a cover for the real issue, which is forcing the personal beliefs of one group on another group who believes differently.
4. All three grossly overstate the purported benefits of protection or fabricate new "benefits" from whole cloth.
5. All three grossly overstate the purported risks of not "protecting" these practices or fabricate new "risks" from whole cloth.
6. All involve efforts to "educate" anyone who disagrees.
Article continued here: http://skepticalob.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-do-breastfeeding-and-sex-have-in.html