Support women who can't BF due to work?
Find a Conversation
|Sat, 04-05-2003 - 9:27pm|
As a pro-bfer (the ones who believe everyone should bf'd period & formula is detrimental and to be avoided at all costs) understanding of these situations or do you still say *something* can be done so bfing can take place? Even if that means a career change or quitting.
I'll give you my true life scenario as an "example" of what I'm speakig of....Had I chosen to be a WOHM (and had I been able to and wished to make the bf/ff *choice* a bfing one) I would NOT have been able to BF or pump while away.
1) I had to travel. Both by day...overnight...gone for a few days...gone for a wk. Can you see me FedExing EBM? I'm sure some women would do it.
2) If I was in a studio working w/a group and we didn't take breaks to get a song just right I could not in my role leave the studio to go pump.
3) My hours. I'd often leave the house @ 6am and return @ 11pm not having *any* free-up time that would have allowed "pumping". I didn't even have time for coffee -- drank it while spilling it running from a to b.
4) I had enough luggage & brief case, extra files, cell phones, pagers, etc. to carry...can you see me carrying a pump? The stuff to send it back home in?
5) I can see me excusing myself during the middle of "fan fair" or an awards event to pump and send milk home or try to find a place in the venue or arena to keep it cool...and can you see me in a sequined gown finding a place to pump? LOL
6) I would have had to took the pump EVERYWHERE. There were days I'd think I'd be in the office all day only to discover I'd never see the front door of the bldg. There were days I'd be off on a plane for a "day" trip that I had no idea I was going on until time to leave the for airport...no time to run home for the pump and stuff LOL
Now some will say..oh you could have...well, I'm here to tell you.....I'm the one that is an expert on how *my* career was and I can tell you that I know for a FACT that NO it would have been impossible.
Not to mention that I'd have to be conscious of whatever vehichle I jumped in that morning I remembered to move the stuff I carried in the car for pumping LOL I've done this w/files and promotional material..fun to get 1hr across town and realize, duh, that was in the other vehichle!
So are there exceptions for the working women?
Food for thought (and to get off the smoking thing LOL)