9/11 a Day Of Remberance

iVillage Member
9/11 a Day Of Remberance
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 11:39am

This is to ask all to Remember the Victims, Family, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who have died and survived the day that a terrible and tragic event occurred when terrorism came to America. Some would have us use this day as a Day of National Service.
To that I say all days should be a day of National Service but not this day or any day that is meant as a day to remember. Today like December 7th 1941 should be remembered as a day of a tragic loss of life and nothing more.

So I will ask two questions:

What where you doing on that day when the towers fell?

What are you doing on this day 9 years later?

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 12:06pm

I do remember going out side that morning, seeing how beautiful the sky was. It was such a prefect blue. That was about 8:30. Came back in was in the kitchen when someone on TV said something about an explosion at the towers. I watched as the horror filled the screen. I can remember the feeling I had when the Plane went down in Pennsylvania. Part terror and part pride for those hero's that lost their lives.

I called my Mom and step-dad who both had lived during WWII. They said this was worse. Cause they could actually see what was going on. As they had to listen to the Radio during WWII.

Sept. 12, I got a call from my son. He told me what I already knew. He was re-enlisting.

Today, thinking a lot about my kids, Grandkids. Thinking about all the children that will never know their parents because of some @&%^$! that thought he could destroy America. When in fact he brought us together.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 12:36pm

I remember the day well. I was ironing and watching Good Morning America. There was an interruption and an announcement that there was a fire at the WTC. I tried to reach my husband who I thought was in either NJ or NY that morning. Actually, he was down in Wilmington, DE. He called me back right about the time the second building was hit. I told him that I thought that it was a terrorist attack. He said he was getting hungry for breakfast and would pull into a diner and see if they had the television on. I called him back to tell him that the Pentagon appears to have also been struck. He pulled into a hotel parking lot while talking with me and went into the lobby and to the breakfast room. He told me people were sitting there watching television and were mesmerized. He decided to come home.

My friend called me from just inside the gate to Ft. Meade and asked if I could get her children from school. They were to stay with me until her parents could come to pick them up. My friend stayed at work for three days, sleeping on a lobby sofa. My neighbor who works at the Pentagon called my other neighbor to go to school and pick up her children since Maryland schools were closing early. She started to head home (here, Millersville, MD) around noon, and due to the metro and traffic congestion after the metro, she didn't get here until after 6 p.m.

Since then my own DS who is a Marine has been to the Middle East a couple of times, including a tour in Iraq and a supportive visit to Pakistan. Today my DS and his wife have been to the Pentagon to hear the speeches there. My DIL's father was in the Pentagon on 911, and he wanted them all to go for the memorial. I'm home waiting on a landscaping company representative to come out and look at a huge hole which I think is a sink hole. My DH will be meeting our son and DIL and her father for a mid-afternoon lunch.

~Opal~
~Opal~    
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 1:39pm

Somebody called me to tell me that a plane had hit one of the towers. It sounded terrible. By the time I had picked up dd from school (we are 7 hours ahead of NY) and had turned on CNN, the second plane had hit. Dh came over with a good friend and we all watched it, including dd although she was only 9. BIL and SIL had left that morning, for NY. Thankfully, they had a connection in Europe and got turned back. Once that worry was over, we started worrying about all the friends and family we have in NY. It was a strange day.

Today we just had a quiet day at home.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
– George Orwell
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 2:15pm

I was getting ready for work when DH told me that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. At first, we both thought it was a small plane. I was watching when the second plane hit the tower and that's when I realized this wasn't just a tragic accident...I could see that it was a large plane. I had to then pick up and drive my fellow teachers an hour out of town to the rural school where we worked. We listened to the whole thing unfold on the radio...when the Pentagon was hit, when the plane in Pennsylvania went down, and when the towers collapsed. I just cried, knowing that so many people had just lost their lives, and tried not to get us in an accident. We then had to teach that day...I had a class of 1st and 2nd graders. That was an incredibly difficult thing to do.

Today, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Ontario, California, having finished up my field work with my dad and now getting ready to do my transcription work...missing my kids terribly...it's been two weeks since I've seen them.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 5:21pm

9 years ago ... my DH and I had only been married about nine months.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 6:14pm

9 years ago...I was at work. I heard the news over our in store radio and all of us workers went into the break room, along with most of the customers and watched in horror as the second plane slammed into the side of the WTC. It was the Today Show that we were watching. And all day long we all hung around the displays of radios and went to the break room to see what was going on.
It was numbing and terrifying. Later that day and the next the store managers bought tons of patriotic stickers (I bought some of my own) and all of us made our own buttons to wear.
I truly felt...during a brief time we were all simply Americans. Not republican..not democrat...religious or atheist. It didn't matter. Not then. We were all a country in mourning.
The worst thing we have ever seen...made us for one shining moment the best we have been in a long time.
Memories of that day still bring tears to my eyes.

Today...I went to the Wright Patterson Air Force Base Museum with my family...my brother and his wife.
There were bus loads of older vets WWII or Korea..and younger. The flags were at half staff. It felt right to be there today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2010 - 7:10pm

<<What where you doing on that day when the towers fell?>>

I was working as a nanny and was playing with the little girl I watched when her dad called from NYC (he worked 2 blocks from the towers) to tell me to turn on the news because a plane had hit one of the towers. We were talking as the second plane hit. We didn't hear from him for the rest of the day and we had no idea what had happened to him until later that night when he finally made it home. Obviously it was a very rough day. Besides not hearing from her husband, the woman I worked for was also worried about her dad who worked in the Pentagon. She had every tv in the house turned on to the news and it was pretty hard to shield the children from what was going on. Their little boy was so upset about what happened to "our New York" that he wore his Batman costume for a week.

<<What are you doing on this day 9 years later?>>

Today was the first time I talked to my older son (7) about what happened that day. I allowed him to look at pictures

Chrissy