Handel resigns from Komen

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-09-2011
Handel resigns from Komen
239
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 11:14am

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-09-2012
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 1:59pm
iluvkrat wrote:

<<...be sad that yet again something was twisted nastily in order to achieve something entirely different. PP got more money for abortions and in the process made the SGK organization look worse than they already made themselves look.>>

Seriously? Talk about "twisting"...Planned Parenthood didn't get "more money for abortions," they got more money in order to provide comprehensive family planning resources to include education, reproductive health care, birth control, and abortion.

Not twisting at all. I did not know I had to list each and every thing they got more money for when abortion is one of the things they got more money for, so yes, seriously, they got more money for abortion. Whether it is all they do or just one of many, the fact remains, they got more money.
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-03-2011
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 2:08pm
Completely ignoring the fact that the more women who receive birth control, the less likely there are to be abortions...

Seems that there are a large number of people in the U.S. who actually get that, hence, the money being donated directly to Planned Parenthood.
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-03-2009
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 2:20pm

Mighty interesting.

Jabberwocka

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-09-2012
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 3:00pm
iluvkrat wrote:
Completely ignoring the fact that the more women who receive birth control, the less likely there are to be abortions...

Seems that there are a large number of people in the U.S. who actually get that, hence, the money being donated directly to Planned Parenthood.

So because I did not mention that I do not have a problem with the birth control part (or the exams or the education or whatever) means that I am ignoring it?

I did not tell you it is raining outside. Does that mean I am ignoring it? Or just focusing on the part where I have the problem, which is that PP provides abortions?

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-03-2011
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 3:07pm
I find it odd that one would focus on 3% of the services an organization provides instead of the other 97%. As I've stated before, no one likes abortion, but it is legal and it is necessary to provide access to reputable providers.
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-13-2009
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 3:17pm

When asked why he robbed banks, Willie Sutton answered "because that's where the money is."

If you want to influence women's health care choices, you work through planned parenthood, because it is the largest provider of reproductive health services in the United States.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-09-2012
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 3:21pm
iluvkrat wrote:
I find it odd that one would focus on 3% of the services an organization provides instead of the other 97%. As I've stated before, no one likes abortion, but it is legal and it is necessary to provide access to reputable providers.

Lots of things are legal that could be questioned, or at least several. I find abortion to be one of them. I fundamentally do not agree with it, and as long as an organization supports the killing of a baby, 3% or .03% of their services, I still cannot ignore it. I cannot simply ignore the bad they do in order to say 'it is okay, the good they do is worth it.' To me, it is not. Not sure what is odd about not compromising my feelings on something. I will not say 'well at least they only kill the babies of 3% of their clients, at least the other 97% percent of clients get better help.' That's still 3% of clients' babies killed.

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-03-2011
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 3:39pm
See chestnuthooligan's post above. She's exactly right.
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-09-2011
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 3:43pm

But why impose what you feel on other women, given that 3/4 of abortions are in the first trimester?

While I understand the abhorrence, the right over controlling our own body should be *the* most important right of all.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-09-2012
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 3:51pm
nellewrites wrote:

But why impose what you feel on other women, given that 3/4 of abortions are in the first trimester?

While I understand the abhorrence, the right over controlling our own body should be *the* most important right of all.

I have seen a beating heart of a six-week-old fetus. I have seen a fetal pole/brain stem of an even smaller fetus. I believe that baby has rights. I cannot explain in a way any better than that: I believe it is alive. I realize we disagree on when a baby becomes viable, but that is my fundamental feelings. My choice does not trump that of the baby I carry within me, should I be pregnant. I feel that we are killing an individual, a future amazing person, and my feelings will not change on that. It is part of who I am, and clearly I cannot influence the world to change this so I have to deal with the fact that abortion is legal but I do not have to agree nor like it and I can only hope that people do all they can to do less abortions. Some people do not support the death penalty either because it is killing. Sometimes you cannot explain your feelings in a way that will make sense to someone else so I hope that comes close.

Pages