Do you think you should rely on a man?

iVillage Member
Do you think you should rely on a man?
Mon, 09-09-2013 - 3:45pm

I thought the following article was a good read.  It conveys an important message that whatever you decide to do, be prepared to support yourself because you can't count on a man to be there to take care of you.   The author found herself divorced, her ex quit his job and she had a very hard time making ends meet: 

No matter what you do in life, whether you aspire to career greatness or whether you embrace motherhood and housekeeping with open arms, or whether you find yourself doing both of these things at the same time, do it well. Do it with everything you have, with all your heart and with great gusto. But do it wisely.

Don't ever make the same mistake I did and put your life in someone else's hands. And always, always, ALWAYS have a Plan B.

Tell your daughters and your granddaughters and all the other girls in your life this: It's OK to fall in love and have babies and be the homemaker. It's also OK to go to law school or business school or medical school or to beauty school or trade school. In fact, it's more than OK if you want to do BOTH. Better than OK... it's the smart thing to do. Tell our girls that they really can have it all, but ALL on their terms.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-ball/mama-dont-let-your-babies_grow-up-to-be-housewives_b_3773133.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

This is something I feel very strongly about, you never know what life has in store for you so you should be prepared.  

What do you think of her advice? 

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 11:31am
It's nothing new. It happens frequently.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 11:38am

I never had things come back from years ago unless I responded to them originally. Shrug.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 11:39am

It's all about the algorithm FB uses to determine the news feed. 

With 850 friends I don't even know how you could keep up to know if something was from years ago. lol

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 11:51am

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">It's all about the algorithm FB uses to determine the news feed. </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">With 850 friends I don't even know how you could keep up to know if something was from years ago. lol</span></strong></p>

Well, considering the original post is dated, it isn't hard to tell.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 12:47pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:small; text-align:left">&lt;&gt; Yes, I meant to say newsfeed....I should have just cut/pasted the comments from before, although that didn't seem to work in explaining notifications earlier. I hope you can fix your newsfeed so that you can see all the updates soon. Good luck in getting fb to work properly for you!</span></p><p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-size:small"><strong><span>Thanks but it works perfect for me. I am on a regular basis that I don't miss anything that I would want to miss. If I had 800 people posting status' on a constant basis and I didn't go on, on a regular basis, it would be tiresome to have to go through all of them. That is why I cut my friends down so they are actual friends and not just acquaintances and I am interested in hearing about what they have to say and see the clips and pics they put up.</span></strong></span></p>

Well.. great!  I know you had so many questions in this thread about facebook, so glad we could all pitch in an help you with learinng the ends and outs of facebook!

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 12:48pm

iamvelma wrote:

I agree, happens all the time. 

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 12:49pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">It's all about the algorithm FB uses to determine the news feed. </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">With 850 friends I don't even know how you could keep up to know if something was from years ago. lol</span></strong></p>

I could see that but sav's really good at reading details so it's probably pretty easy for her to note the time and date on a post as she scrolls through the news feed. 

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 12:50pm

savcal2011 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">mortyswife</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&gt;It's all about the algorithm FB uses to determine the news feed. &lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;strong&gt;&lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&gt;With 850 friends I don't even know how you could keep up to know if something was from years ago. lol&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>Well, considering the original post is dated, it isn't hard to tell.</p>

I just posted that...should have read further.  I agree it's pretty easy to note, ime as well.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 1:13pm

Well, considering the original post is dated, it isn't hard to tell.

How would you tell though since you said you don't read every.single status?

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 1:14pm

Well.. great!  I know you had so many questions in this thread about facebook, so glad we could all pitch in an help you with learinng the ends and outs of facebook!

Where did you get THAT idea? 

Pages