Do you think you should rely on a man?

iVillage Member
Do you think you should rely on a man?
Mon, 09-09-2013 - 3:45pm

I thought the following article was a good read.  It conveys an important message that whatever you decide to do, be prepared to support yourself because you can't count on a man to be there to take care of you.   The author found herself divorced, her ex quit his job and she had a very hard time making ends meet: 

No matter what you do in life, whether you aspire to career greatness or whether you embrace motherhood and housekeeping with open arms, or whether you find yourself doing both of these things at the same time, do it well. Do it with everything you have, with all your heart and with great gusto. But do it wisely.

Don't ever make the same mistake I did and put your life in someone else's hands. And always, always, ALWAYS have a Plan B.

Tell your daughters and your granddaughters and all the other girls in your life this: It's OK to fall in love and have babies and be the homemaker. It's also OK to go to law school or business school or medical school or to beauty school or trade school. In fact, it's more than OK if you want to do BOTH. Better than OK... it's the smart thing to do. Tell our girls that they really can have it all, but ALL on their terms.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-ball/mama-dont-let-your-babies_grow-up-to-be-housewives_b_3773133.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

This is something I feel very strongly about, you never know what life has in store for you so you should be prepared.  

What do you think of her advice? 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:16pm

1) Not enough time

This always boggles my mind. But you have time to "debate" over stupid junk here? Bawhahhaaa....I would rather take the time and have relationships with my friends then to come on just to argue with strangers.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:18pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Well.. great!  <strong>I know you had so many questions in this thread about facebook</strong>, so glad we could all pitch in an help you with learinng the ends and outs of facebook!</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Where did you get THAT idea? </span></strong></p>

The repeated questions on the subject in this thread, you know...as I just said in my post and then you quoted again.  I find it helps to read the posts, ymmv of course.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:19pm

The repeated questions on the subject in this thread, you know...as I just said in my post and then you quoted again.  I find it helps to read the posts, ymmv of course.

Bawahhhaaa..QUESTIONS? lol

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:20pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I could see that but sav's really good at reading details so it's probably pretty easy for her to note the time and date on a post as she scrolls through the news feed. </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">How so when she said she doesn't even really look at her BFF's status'? </span></strong></p>

Because her statements aren't mutally exclusive, one doesn't have to read all the posts to note a post that is older with a new status on it.   It's not an either/or situation....

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:21pm

savcal2011 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">mortyswife</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&gt;Well, considering the original post is dated, it isn't hard to tell.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;strong&gt;&lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&gt;How would you tell though since you said you don't read every.single status?&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>Those statements aren't mutually exclusive.  I don't have to read EVERY post that comes up on my newsfeed to know that posts are date/time stamped. </p>

HA!  Should have read ahead again, lol.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:22pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I said I don't read EVERY one of my BFF's statuses.  You made up the "doesn't even really look at" part. </span></p><p style="text-align:left"><strong><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>No you said that about the biking status'.</span></span></strong></p>

One single type of status for one single friend doesn't equal all status for all friens.  Really.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:23pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">You're making stuff up again. I said I don't read everyone of my BFFs' statuses.</span></p><p style="text-align:left"><strong><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>Why is that? Maybe you should cut down on the 850 friends so you CAN read them. Aren't they more important than just acquaintances?</span></span></strong></p>

Good question....why are you making up things again?  She doesn't have an issue with her fb friends, why do you?  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:24pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">1) Not enough time</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">This always boggles my mind. But you have time to "debate" over stupid junk here? Bawhahhaaa....I would rather take the time and have relationships with my friends then to come on just to argue with strangers.</span></strong></p>

Again, my relationships with my close friends is not dictated or even barely influenced/affected by our activity on FB.  FB is fluff.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:25pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">1) Not enough time</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">This always boggles my mind. But you have time to "debate" over stupid junk here? Bawhahhaaa....I would rather take the time and have relationships with my friends then to come on just to argue with strangers.</span></strong></p>

Hmm....you do know we can see all your posts, right?   

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:25pm

Because her statements aren't mutally exclusive, one doesn't have to read all the posts to note a post that is older with a new status on it.   It's not an either/or situation....

Nope you don't but I find it difficult to believe that she would stop to look at dates when she doesn't even read her BFF's posts.