Do you think you should rely on a man?

iVillage Member
Do you think you should rely on a man?
Mon, 09-09-2013 - 3:45pm

I thought the following article was a good read.  It conveys an important message that whatever you decide to do, be prepared to support yourself because you can't count on a man to be there to take care of you.   The author found herself divorced, her ex quit his job and she had a very hard time making ends meet: 

No matter what you do in life, whether you aspire to career greatness or whether you embrace motherhood and housekeeping with open arms, or whether you find yourself doing both of these things at the same time, do it well. Do it with everything you have, with all your heart and with great gusto. But do it wisely.

Don't ever make the same mistake I did and put your life in someone else's hands. And always, always, ALWAYS have a Plan B.

Tell your daughters and your granddaughters and all the other girls in your life this: It's OK to fall in love and have babies and be the homemaker. It's also OK to go to law school or business school or medical school or to beauty school or trade school. In fact, it's more than OK if you want to do BOTH. Better than OK... it's the smart thing to do. Tell our girls that they really can have it all, but ALL on their terms.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-ball/mama-dont-let-your-babies_grow-up-to-be-housewives_b_3773133.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

This is something I feel very strongly about, you never know what life has in store for you so you should be prepared.  

What do you think of her advice? 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:35pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Hmm....you do know we can see all your posts, right?   </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">My posts here, of course.</span></strong></p>

Taking the time to come here just to argue with strangers....sometimes the irony makes me lol.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:36pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Yes, you asked tons of them about facebook, it really does help to read the posts. </span></p><p style="text-align:left"><strong><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>They were not questions about things I did not know already.</span></span></strong></p>

I don't see any evidence of that here in your posts.  :(

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:36pm

Taking the time to come here just to argue with strangers....sometimes the irony makes me lol.

Not really since I have checked my facebook quite a few times already today and read ALL the status'. Shrug.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:37pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Sav has demonstrated the ability to read posts and details here and on facebook, I'm not sure why you wouldn't believe that based on something you made up....wouldn't it make more sense to base a belief on reality?</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Again, we are speaking about a "fluffy" FB that she really doesn't care about. </span></strong></p>

Again, that isn't relevant either, even if it was true...which it's not.  Try reality.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:38pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">....and yet you have mentioned it multiple times, mocked the number multiple times, just suggested she get rid of some of the friends and have made all kinds of suggestions about what she should do.. but oh yea, all that shows that one doesn't have an issue with the subject.  Ah huh, sure...lol.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I mock it because it makes no sense to have that many if you are not even interested in reading your own close personal friends status'.</span></strong></p>

Oh look, taking issue with the number of friends someone has on facebook, a stranger.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:39pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Taking the time to come here just to argue with strangers....sometimes the irony makes me lol.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Not really since I have checked my facebook quite a few times already today and read ALL the status'. Shrug.</span></strong></p>

Oh my.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 2:41pm

Oh my.  

Are you ok?

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 4:14pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">....and yet you have mentioned it multiple times, mocked the number multiple times, just suggested she get rid of some of the friends and have made all kinds of suggestions about what she should do.. but oh yea, all that shows that one doesn't have an issue with the subject.  Ah huh, sure...lol.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I mock it because it makes no sense to have that many if you are not even interested in reading your own close personal friends status'.</span></strong></p>

Again, you're making things up.  

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 4:44pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Oh my.  </span></p><p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>Are you ok?</span></span></p>

Yep, I'm great.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-20-2013 - 8:47pm