Poor nutrition sah/woh issue?

iVillage Member
Poor nutrition sah/woh issue?
Tue, 12-29-2009 - 7:24pm
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 4:56pm

Perhaps she means time consuming in the sense of HER time being consumed, not time in general.

I consider cooking in a slow cooker to be "non time consuming" because I can put the soup, roast, or whatever in the cooker before I go to work, or go out for the day, and when I get home, it is ready.

So if I make a pot roast, in reality it "consumed" 5-8 hours of time in general, but not much of MY time. Just the time to pre-brown the roast and chop the veggies. And the time to slice the roast afterwards. Since I am either at work, (or if on the weekend out doing my weekend things) while the roast cooks, I don't consider that time to be MY time that is being consumed.

So I would consider making a slow cooker meal, to be something that it is not time consuming, since it only takes about 45 miniutes of MY time.

You would probobly consider it time consuming because it takes 5-8 hours, and it would be something you could decide to do an hour before the meal is to be served.

I don't think frogsslippers is throwing in a "convoluted definition" for the purpose of supporting "the element in the argument that actually does not make sense and/or defies logic (and gravity too!)" And I'm not really sure what gravity has to do with this. Is this debate making you float out of your chair :) :) :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 6:44pm

Well, I have been following this thread, and I guess I'll be thrown in Lasagne hell. I can't even remember the last time I made lasagne. And I never make it the same way twice. (and I don't mean I tweak it hear and there, the ten times that I have made it in the past 25 years, I have just pulled a recipe from wherever, and deviated from it. My favorite that I have made was a vegetable lasagne.

And I have committed other heinous crimes against lasagne. Being half Italian and not cooking it a on a regular basis, is probobly enoughtto get me impeached from my Italian heritage right there. I don't think I have ever used jarred sauce for my lasagne (but that's about all I ever use for spaghetti, so let the impeachment of my Italian heritage begin) I have tried no boil noodles once, and they were OK, but my husband hated them (guess he just has an "over sensitive" pallett) and I have tried making lasagne with regular noodles and just not boiling (this recipe said you could do it that way) and I definitely did NOT like the way that turned out (and I was disappointed that I didn't like it that way, because I was looking for a quick -n- easy lasagne sauce. Oh, and I have used the dreaded cottage cheese, and I for cooking in general I use the shredded cheese. Or is it "pre-shredded" cheese. Or is it "already shredded cheese". So let's just take away my license to cook. And let's just throw me in jail and throw away the key, 'cuz I use a coffee scoop to make my turkey meatballs (and I buy frozen meat balls and add them to jarred sauce and throw them over spaghetti from a box, not home made)

Good thing my boy is in college now, and living away from home. Otherwise the kitchen police might be trying to put him in some kind of protective custody from his jarred sauce, pre-grated cheese, frozen meatball, kitchen gadget using Mama.

Actually, I think it's GREAT that you are teaching your son to make lasagne. And I don't think it matters if you teach him from a recipe, use gadgets, make the sauce from scratch or pour it from a jar or whatever. You are creating a MEMORY with him, as well as teaching him an important life skill. I honestly don't understand where the controversy in that comes from.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 8:19am
You just got me in trouble with the 13 year old sleeping on the sofa, because I just snorted a cup of hot coffee and it hurt! ;)

Kitty

"Flying there, yes you need a passport.... taking a cruise there you'd just need her to have a BC. If you took a cruise out of Port Canaveral you could spend one or two days at Disney to satisfy that, then a three or four day cruise to Bahamas and maybe Key West." -- Jamie's excellent and accurate advice with regard to travel documents needed when traveling internationally

Kitty

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing."-- Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971 t .

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 1:11pm

No, I would not consider crock pot cooking to be consuming of MY time. I am very aware that with crockpots, you put it in and leave it alone until it is done 5-8 hours later and it does not take my effort of to get it done and I do not need to even stir it.

I am very aware what the poster meant. She meant that her time to put the lasagna together took NO time, which is of course silly. It even takes time to get the actual ingredients out on the counter before you can prepare them, then do the layers etc. If the poster meant that slapping lasagana together is quick and easy and takes very little time, she could have said that. But she didn't.

"I don't think frogsslippers is throwing in a "convoluted definition" for the purpose of supporting "the element in the argument that actually does not make sense and/or defies logic (and gravity too!)" And I'm not really sure what gravity has to do with this. Is this debate making you float out of your chair."

Well then you haven't been reading this board long enough. I believe that poster has been banned anyway, since she isn't coming around anymore.

In the frequently relevant (to so many debates on Ivillage) words of Inigio Montoya from The Princess Bride "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

In the frequently relevant (to so many debates on Ivillage) words of Inigio Montoya from The Princess Bride "You keep using that

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 11:04pm

I think the phrase "no time" is a colloguillism (not sure how it's really spelled) that doesn't LITERALLY mean NO TIME, but merely means a short period of time.

I have used the phrase, "Oh I can have that done in no time at all" but did NOT mean it literally.

Just like I say "This will just take a second" but it usually takes a little longer than a second.

Of course, frogslippers crap about the audacity of using recipes and meatball scoops was a bit over the top. And her insistence that Italians never use a cook book or a gadget. Pffffft, I'm half Italian, and I use both.

But I betcha she DOES have that "no time" recipe stashed away in her junk drawer, right underneath the meatball scoop.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 11:09pm

I guess I owe you a cup of coffee and keyboard then.

But you know what really hurts, last night I stirred my home made spagetti sauce with my hands, 'cuz I realize that I'm Italian and real Italians don't use gadgets or recipes, so I stirred with my hands and burned myself :) :) :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 1:25pm

Sure, I know people say that IRL all the time. But on a debate board, it really isn't a good idea to use phrases like that. One wouldn't get replies about "magic lasagna" etc if one just said it's quick, easy, takes very little time etc.

Yes she probably does use a meatball scoop or maybe even uses those frozen pre-cooked meatballs! Gasp! I admit have used those--my family likes them including my Italian dh. I'm sure he likes homemade better. But he understands the value of a quick & easy meal.

In the frequently relevant (to so many debates on Ivillage) words of Inigio Montoya from The Princess Bride "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

In the frequently relevant (to so many debates on Ivillage) words of Inigio Montoya from The Princess Bride "You keep using that

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 1:26pm
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 10:57pm
LOL!