SAHM on the rise

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-22-2009
SAHM on the rise
103
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 7:23pm

On  ABC World News tonight they stated that SAHMs are on the rise.  They are now 29%, up from 23% in 1999.

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:19pm

Ok,and? lol. Is there a debate in here?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:22pm

emptynester2009 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:medium">On  ABC World News tonight they stated that SAHMs are on the rise.  They are now 29%, up from 23% in 1999.</span></p>

I read that online, it linked the reason to those who can't afford to work.  Here's the link that came across my msn feed.

http://www.today.com/money/more-mothers-staying-home-kids-study-shows-2D79497794

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:24pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>Ok,and? lol. Is there a debate in here?</p>

Much more than your nonsense about pumpkins and trout.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:29pm

I just didn't understand the point of the thread. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-22-2009
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:33pm

>I read that online, it linked the reason to those who can't afford to work.  Here's the link that came across my msn feed.</p><p>http://www.today.com/money/more-mothers-staying-home-kids-study-shows-2D79497794</p>[/quote]

Thank you.  It was a short news blurp on the news that I was not able to catch  all of and I had no luck finding info onlne. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:40pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>I just didn't understand the point of the thread. </p>

Then don't post and please don't start in on anyone else's child because you feel the need to mock someone.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:42pm

emptynester2009 wrote:
<p>&gt;I read that online, it linked the reason to those who can't afford to work.  Here's the link that came across my msn feed.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;http://www.today.com/money/more-mothers-staying-home-kids-study-shows-2D79497794&lt;/p&gt;
</p><p><span style="font-size:medium">Thank you.  It was a short news blurp on the news that I was not able to catch  all of and I had no luck finding info onlne.  </span></p>[/quote]

No problem, I read it this afternoon and really thought it was interesting and was going to post it myself.  The fact that was interesting most to me was that only 5% of the sahm had graduate degrees and a dh who earned over $75,000, the majority of sahms stayed at home because they couldn't afford to do anything else but sah.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 8:54pm
I find that interesting, Are they at home and on food stamps if they can only afford to SAH then too? Or is it just a matter of daycare? I've been lucky and I still meet a lot of young women/new moms that are chosing this path because they can afford to, But that's pretty anecdotal I do admit.

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 9:02pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>I just didn't understand the point of the thread. </p>

I'd be curious how the study was measured, I mean stay at home mothers have been in the minority for a long time.  Is the rise compared to themselves or moms that have worked and chosen to stay at home?  New mothers?  Mothers in different academic categories?  There are so many other factors to consider, No debate unless you're wanting to root for the underdog like myself, Lol ;-)

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Tue, 04-08-2014 - 9:05pm

Yeah there is much more to this than just one sentence. A link would have been nice to be included to prove your point. Lol.

Pages