What do SAHMs do all day?

Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
What do SAHMs do all day?
788
Mon, 10-14-2013 - 3:59pm

It was a question such as this that prompted  the male author to write the following article in the Huffington post.  He is tired of working moms of putting down his wife because she is SAH: 

Look, I don't cast aspersions on women who work outside of the home. I understand that many of them are forced into it because they are single mothers, or because one income simply isn't enough to meet the financial needs of their family. Or they just choose to work because that's what they want to do. Fine. I also understand that most "professional" women aren't rude, pompous and smug, like the two I met recently.

But I don't want to sing Kumbaya right now. I want to kick our backwards, materialistic society in the shins and say, "GET YOUR FREAKING HEAD ON STRAIGHT, SOCIETY."

This conversation shouldn't be necessary. I shouldn't need to explain why it's insane for anyone -- particularly other women -- to have such contempt and hostility for "stay at home" mothers. Are we really so shallow? Are we really so confused? Are we really the first culture in the history of mankind to fail to grasp the glory and seriousness of motherhood? The pagans deified Maternity and turned it into a goddess. We've gone the other direction; we treat it like a disease or an obstacle.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-walsh/youre-a-stay-at-home-mom-_b_4086126.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
I also found the last couple of paragraphs interesting, he was talking about how it doesn't matter who is busier and why we try to keep score.
Any thoughts on the article?

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 7:36pm
We have a television for watching movies only. We get no broadcasts.
iVillage Member
Registered: 09-15-2013
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 7:40pm

"We have no landline and no televisions at all"

We have a television for watching movies only. We get no broadcasts.

So why would you say you have NO televisions at all?


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 7:46pm
Because I think of "television" as the programs that you watch, not the screen itself.
iVillage Member
Registered: 09-15-2013
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 7:48pm

Because I think of "television" as the programs that you watch, not the screen itself.

tel·e·vi·sion
ˈteləˌviZHən/
noun
  1. 1.
    a system for transmitting visual images and sound that are reproduced on screens, chiefly used to broadcast programs for entertainment, information, and education.
  2. 2.
    a device that receives television signals and reproduces them on a screen.
    synonyms:TVMore
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 7:55pm
Yes, I was thinking of definition #1; it is clear you are thinking of definition #2.
iVillage Member
Registered: 09-15-2013
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 7:57pm

BAER

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 8:07pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
So what are you saying savcal.. if there was hdtv, xbox, suvs then you would have had them? Weren't you poor?

I wasn't talking about what *I* wouild have had. I was talking about the materialisticness (ha!) of society in general.  We were somewhat poor. We would have wanted those things had they existed, but we wouldn't have been able to afford them probably.  But materialisticness is about the wanting, not necessarily the having (although that factors in too).

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 8:16pm

thardy2001 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">savcal2011</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;&lt;blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"&gt;&lt;div class="quote-author"&gt;&lt;em class="placeholder"&gt;mortyswife&lt;/em&gt; wrote:&lt;/div&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;strong&amp;gt;One shared phone and one shared bathroom&amp;lt;/strong&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You and you dh and/or kids don't have cell phones?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Man, I was on a party line as a kid.  Our ring was two shorts. My grandmother's ring was two longs. The neighbor's ring was one short/one long. &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>errr.  Maybe that was also partly because of where you lived. </p>

Oh, the party line thing was completely a rural/available technology thing.  Totally.  I just thought it was an insteresting addition to the conversation.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 8:17pm

thardy2001 wrote:
You and you dh and/or kids don't have cell phones?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>You and Bord both concluded Morty only has one shared phone and one bathroom?  No cell?</p>

I didn't conclude that.  If I had, I wouldn't have asked about a cell phone. 

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-16-2013 - 8:24pm

bordwithyou wrote:
We have a television for watching movies only. We get no broadcasts.

The Girl's boyfriend doesn't even have that. They watch movies on a projector and screen, lol.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Pages