What do SAHMs do all day?

Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
What do SAHMs do all day?
788
Mon, 10-14-2013 - 3:59pm

It was a question such as this that prompted  the male author to write the following article in the Huffington post.  He is tired of working moms of putting down his wife because she is SAH: 

Look, I don't cast aspersions on women who work outside of the home. I understand that many of them are forced into it because they are single mothers, or because one income simply isn't enough to meet the financial needs of their family. Or they just choose to work because that's what they want to do. Fine. I also understand that most "professional" women aren't rude, pompous and smug, like the two I met recently.

But I don't want to sing Kumbaya right now. I want to kick our backwards, materialistic society in the shins and say, "GET YOUR FREAKING HEAD ON STRAIGHT, SOCIETY."

This conversation shouldn't be necessary. I shouldn't need to explain why it's insane for anyone -- particularly other women -- to have such contempt and hostility for "stay at home" mothers. Are we really so shallow? Are we really so confused? Are we really the first culture in the history of mankind to fail to grasp the glory and seriousness of motherhood? The pagans deified Maternity and turned it into a goddess. We've gone the other direction; we treat it like a disease or an obstacle.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-walsh/youre-a-stay-at-home-mom-_b_4086126.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
I also found the last couple of paragraphs interesting, he was talking about how it doesn't matter who is busier and why we try to keep score.
Any thoughts on the article?

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Sat, 10-19-2013 - 10:16pm

I don't post from our home computer. I am hardly ever in the room that it's in. The only person who really uses it is my son, and honestly, when he goes off to college we will probably let him take the computer and cancel the internet. We've only had the computer for the last four or five years.

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-31-2011
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 10:14am

So in essence, Mortyswife, if anyone posts as frequently as you, they have no life? No friends, no exciting TV shows to emerge themselves in, no kids or husband that enjoy their company... and these all-important relationships of friends, spouse, and children are codified by sharing the same physical space, despite the blaring TV set and computers to multi-task with strangers on the internet?

Maybe others can help me by confirming that I am in fact, reading this correctly?

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2002
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:18am

just_another_marla wrote:
<p>So in essence, Mortyswife, if anyone posts as frequently as you, they have no life? No friends, no exciting TV shows to emerge themselves in, no kids or husband that enjoy their company... and these all-important relationships of friends, spouse, and children are codified by sharing the same physical space, despite the blaring TV set and computers to multi-task with strangers on the internet?</p><p>Maybe others can help me by confirming that I am in fact, reading this correctly?</p>

I'll try to help you, Marla.  First, the word is "immerse."  Not emerge.  Immerse.  Second, No, you are not reading this correctly.  What you have done, and props to you, is perfected the art of insulting for no reason at all.  Again, props.  If you've read this far into the discussion, again you're just as "immersed" in reading this debate as anyone so I have no doubt anyone who posts here at all comes here just as "frequently" as I or Morty.  We're all wasting time here as much as anyone else.  Some people don't post at all.  Some post as they read.  No biggie.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:47am

<<I never said it was a month long. I said October was a busy month. It is technically 2 months long. September and October. >>

Yes, actually you did.  I asked:  You are only picking up/dropping of your kids this one single month, you have never done it before and you will never do it again?  That seems so limiting, why are you only pickup/drop off this month only?

You replied:  For sports? Yep. She doesn't stay until 5pm at school when she does not have sports.

Now of course since I pointed out that only one month wasn't exactly truthful on your part, you have changed it to two months, lol.  

<<Again for only 2 months and yes that will be the only pickup/dropoff for sports this year. The regular bus can be taken after that.>

Interesting, up until now it was only for one month, now it's two.

<<Um morty, my kid isn't in college currently so what are you talking about...or did you just not read again?

I didn't say in college, I said now.>>

You quoted my comments about a kid living in college, what does high school have to do with the subject of kids in college?

<<So you haven't had to take your kids to and from school? You now have bus transportation?>>

Ah, you and your limited views of life, there are more than just "your" two options. 


PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:50am

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px">Here's what I want to know, Morty: Why do you come on here day after day and make nasty comments about my parenting and life?</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px">Not sure what you mean. Why do you come on here and answer me and usually the second RIGHT after I post. Do you just sit and refresh ivillage all day long? </span></strong></p>

How can you not know what she means and why are you harassing someone again about how they post here?

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:51am

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px">So when you say your dd basically lives at a friends house sometime....what does that say?   </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px">It says she wants to spend time with her friend. If she had a parent that nagged her constantly (like they do total strangers) then I could see why they would not want to be home. </span></strong></p>

Hmm...you mean like harassing someone on how, when and why they post here?   That type of nagging?  If so, you might want to rethink some things.


PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:53am

<<Oh, I did. You just didn't like my answer. Like usual, when you don't like my answer, you just keep hounding me that I didn't answer it honestly, or genuine or whatever you word you choose. Again, nagging, same pattern all the time.>>

Well no, that's not exactly true since I LOL at your answer.  I thought it was funny and I haven't asked the question again, so really...no.  The pattern that is the same however, is diversion from the subject onto the person individually with the attempt to insult and that morty, doesn't belong to me.  :)


PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:55am

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px">Let's look at the math. I've had this user name for 58 months, and average 15( or do posts per month. You've had your latest user name for a little over a month, and you're closing in on a thousand posts. Are you sure you want to be admonishing others for posting too much?</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px">15 posts a MONTH? You just posted twice in the last 12 minutes. </span></strong></p>

Wow...you have over a 1000 posts in about a month, why are you harassing others about how they post and don't post?  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:56am

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px">I forgot you dint understand averages. Never mind.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>It doesn't work that way when you have used multiple names over the last 58 months. Talk about not understanding. lolol. </span></span></strong></p>

I tihnk you are confusing yourself with bord, you have had multiple names over the last few years, bord has had the one.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 11:57am

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px">No, Historian Mom is my Banshee name. Lois15354 was my original I-Village handle, but I got tired of typing the numbers and I switched about five years ago.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px">So you are trying to say you have only had TWO names on ivillage. Not true.</span></strong></p>

More harassing...

PumpkinAngel

Pages