What do SAHMs do all day?

Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
What do SAHMs do all day?
788
Mon, 10-14-2013 - 3:59pm

It was a question such as this that prompted  the male author to write the following article in the Huffington post.  He is tired of working moms of putting down his wife because she is SAH: 

Look, I don't cast aspersions on women who work outside of the home. I understand that many of them are forced into it because they are single mothers, or because one income simply isn't enough to meet the financial needs of their family. Or they just choose to work because that's what they want to do. Fine. I also understand that most "professional" women aren't rude, pompous and smug, like the two I met recently.

But I don't want to sing Kumbaya right now. I want to kick our backwards, materialistic society in the shins and say, "GET YOUR FREAKING HEAD ON STRAIGHT, SOCIETY."

This conversation shouldn't be necessary. I shouldn't need to explain why it's insane for anyone -- particularly other women -- to have such contempt and hostility for "stay at home" mothers. Are we really so shallow? Are we really so confused? Are we really the first culture in the history of mankind to fail to grasp the glory and seriousness of motherhood? The pagans deified Maternity and turned it into a goddess. We've gone the other direction; we treat it like a disease or an obstacle.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-walsh/youre-a-stay-at-home-mom-_b_4086126.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
I also found the last couple of paragraphs interesting, he was talking about how it doesn't matter who is busier and why we try to keep score.
Any thoughts on the article?

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 1:01pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p>Dear Lord PKA.....swim is for TWO months, OCTOBER is the BUSIEST of the TWO months BECAUSE there are OTHER things in that month to make it busier. Yes, there is ONLY drop off and pick up for TWO months BECAUSE my dd (not speaking of anyone else's children) is ONLY in ONE sport. </p><p>Any other questions?</p>

Whoosh, went the point over your head and really, if you get this upset (yelling and all) having a conversation and watching how people post, when they post, trying to insult right and left and so forth...it might be time to take a step back from posting. A big, giant step back.  Just a suggestion mind you, just a suggestion.

 

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-15-2013
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 1:06pm

Again, can't just take what I say and understand it and believe it. Ask Jams if you need to since she sees my posts and pics on fb.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 1:15pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p>Again, can't just take what I say and understand it and believe it. Ask Jams if you need to since she sees my posts and pics on fb.</p>

It depends on the situation, I don't have a problem with agreeing with you and have posted such.  However when the comments constantly contradict, mock, are fictional and just down right mean...no, not a chance.  I think the main problem is what you said in another thread, you don't read all of the comment, much of the back and forth would stop if you would stop and read.

But your comment is quite ironic since you can't take what I say, understand it and then believe it.   I will say again about facebook, I have no interest in conversing with you or Jams on facebook, ever....

I suggets again, if you are taking this board this seriously...,it might be time for a step back.


PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-15-2013
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 1:23pm

Sorry you can't just take my word PKA. Nothing changed in what I said. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-2013
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 2:15pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">"You can have the TV prize, Morty. Go, you." -------- Seriously! We only have one TV. We have always had only one TV. Not sure what we would do with any others. I do not like TV in the living room, and won't allow it in the kid's room, so we always just had one in my bedroom. It really is OK if other people know this about us. Is there some sort of status attached to owning more than one of the magic boxes? It is not as if they are particularly expensive, so I am a bit confused here.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">People with larger homes have living rooms, dens, basements, etc. We have one in every bedroom (well did as my dd's died and we have not replaced it yet) and one in the living room. This is the norm, IME. </span></strong></p>

I don't think it is the norm to have tvs in kids' bedrooms. We have five, but none in the kids' bedrooms b/c I don't feel that they need them in their rooms. If they're going to watch tv, it can be in a common area of the house. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-15-2013
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 2:19pm

I don't think it is the norm to have tvs in kids' bedrooms. We have five, but none in the kids' bedrooms b/c I don't feel that they need them in their rooms. If they're going to watch tv, it can be in a common area of the house. 

And that is ok to have your own opinion. I don't see a problem with it and to tell you the truth, they barely even watch their TV's (dd has none right now). My ds mostly watches when he wakes up in the morning and no one else is awake so he can chill out in his bed and see his shows.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-2013
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 2:32pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>Another wait and see sort of mom...  Lol.  It's best a kid not know what the heck he wants to be or do in college. </p>

Any idea how common it is for undergrads to change their major?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 2:40pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p>Sorry you can't just take my word PKA. Nothing changed in what I said. </p>

Well, you might want to think about why one can't take your word on things, that is if you are truly sorry.  

FWIW, I will never take your word on how you think about my life, no one believe fairy tales are real morty.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-15-2013
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 3:03pm

Maybe because they can't believe that someone could ACTUALLY be honest. I don't know PKA. Pics and stories on other online sites PROVE that I do NOT lie.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 10-20-2013 - 3:09pm

mortyswife wrote:
<p>Maybe because they can't believe that someone could ACTUALLY be honest. I don't know PKA. Pics and stories on other online sites PROVE that I do NOT lie.</p>

That's not true, I believe that there are a lot of honest people in this world.  I think there are a lot of good moral, non law breaking, good honest people in this world.  So you might want to think about more about the situation.  All I know is that I read a lot of made up fictional comments with your name attached about myself on a regular basis, I don't know how pictures would prove that they are true, but you are more than welcome to post them here.

PumpkinAngel

Pages