What does feminism mean to you?

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-31-2011
What does feminism mean to you?
182
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 6:20am

I noted that feminism was touched upon in another thread and that people involved in the discussion seemed to have different definitions and outlooks on feminism. I'm curious about all of these different views and definitions not only as a student, but in the context of the WOH/SAH debate. 

FWIW, this wouldn't be the first place that I've heard about varying levels of feminism. I once stumbled across a group of women who were proud to tell me that they were anti-feminist, because they didn't hate men and they enjoyed wearing bras and having babies.

So, what does feminism mean to you? Do you think that feminism is big and complex enough to have multiple definitions?

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:47pm
and ivory towers..... Lol.

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:47pm
No, Thardy, we have no problem with affirmative action trying to "take over" the department. In fact, quite the opposite. With over half the PhDs in my field going to women these days, the number of female finalists for tenure track jobs is suspiciously low.
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:43pm

thardy2001 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">BeaArthurisMyReligion</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;that's  BS answer and you know it....  feminism isn't a dead political issue as much as priviledged white women like you would love to make it so -- witness the EXCRUTIATING fight to get the VAWA reauthorized .... feminism is about more than pay parity, and Title IX sports and Danica Patrick at the Indy, it's about protecting women from their abusers, and access to health care from pap smears to mammograms to birth control and prenatal care, it's about access to education and opportunity, job training programs, management tracks,  all the thigns that white men take for granted b/c they were born with the privilege of white skin and a penis.    and women who dney that there is no need to fight for our sisters are the deadliest kind of enemy, and enemy from within... and I have zero respect nor tolerance for them.&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>Relax.  I think feminism has a negative connotation at a time when there are so many women doing great things around the US and world.  When women call someone anti-feminist or chauvinist because they don't earn the salary of the man in the next cubicle, it doesn't pass the smell test.  The term is a crutch.  It weakens women's chances.</p>

Beautiful counterpoint.

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:40pm
There are plenty of women in deserving positions and collecting deserving pay b/c they've worked their behinds off to get there, Likewise men. I don't know if that's "special" but there are some crying fowl b/c they wish it were them.

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2002
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:40pm

bordwithyou wrote:
My department has 28 faculty members, eight female. Four people of color. If an equally qualified male and female are finalists for our next search, yeah, the nod will go to the female. But we had two searches this year, producing eight finalists. Two women. Neither got the offer. One came close. So I really don't think affirmative action in our case is working to screw better-qualified men out of positions.

It sounds like a fair process, a fair department.  It's when the equally qualified man is routinely and historically thrown over each and every single time.  That would be affirmative action for women.  But it doesn't look like it's overtaken your department with 20 (?) male faculty, 8 women.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:29pm
My department has 28 faculty members, eight female. Four people of color. If an equally qualified male and female are finalists for our next search, yeah, the nod will go to the female. But we had two searches this year, producing eight finalists. Two women. Neither got the offer. One came close. So I really don't think affirmative action in our case is working to screw better-qualified men out of positions.
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-13-2009
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:17pm

<I agree it's a fact you both attribute all problems to the white male.>

Then I'm sure you do not any facts to prove that assertion. Bea and I both stated that power is historically and disproportionally in the hands of while males. Do you disagree?

"attribute all problems to the white male." Not really - most didn't know any better in the past, but feminists are schooling them, our daughters and our sons for a more equitable future. I quite like most men, and I'm married to a priviledged white male who's outearned by his feminist wife. He's taught me everything I know about negotiating salary and perqs in the workplace.

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2002
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:12pm

pumpkinangel wrote:
What special treatment do women want?  Can you provide some details, news article...something other than you claiming that "women" want that treatment?  Me:  So if an equally qualified man and woman apply for the same job...the woman has to get it.  Same with pay raises, bonuses, perks.  It's affirmative action for women.  I'm not in favor of. that.

Yes. Me: "" Me:  So if an equally qualified man and woman apply for the same job...the woman has to get it.  Same with pay raises, bonuses, perks.  It's affirmative action for women.  I'm not in favor of. that""

pumpkinangel wrote:
  I'm not in favor of affirmative action but then again, neither has anyone else in this thread so what relevance does it have here other than diversion.

Yes.  Chestnut said she/he's in favor of affirmative action.  You just read her post.

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2002
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:05pm

chestnuthooligan wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">thardy2001</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;It's interesting both of you find all the fault lies with the "white man." &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>It's an objective fact. You have problems with facts? </p>

I agree it's a fact you both attribute all problems to the white male. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2002
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:04pm

pumpkinangel wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">BeaArthurisMyReligion</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;that's  BS answer and you know it....  feminism isn't a dead political issue as much as priviledged white women like you would love to make it so -- witness the EXCRUTIATING fight to get the VAWA reauthorized .... feminism is about more than pay parity, and Title IX sports and Danica Patrick at the Indy, it's about protecting women from their abusers, and access to health care from pap smears to mammograms to birth control and prenatal care, it's about access to education and opportunity, job training programs, management tracks,  all the thigns that white men take for granted b/c they were born with the privilege of white skin and a penis.    and women who dney that there is no need to fight for our sisters are the deadliest kind of enemy, and enemy from within... and I have zero respect nor tolerance for them.&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>I totally agree and wonder how any women in todays world can look around and keep their head buried in the sand and think that this is not a real issue that many women face is a concept I don't understand.  Then to tell their daughters they can't have it all is such a contradiction.</p>

pumkinangel wrote:
Pretending that all genders are equal in the work force and in life is fairy tale, nothing more and really not the basis I want to use for raising my children nor was I raised that way either.

In coining the term **fairy tale** to describe gender equality, you necessarily clarify your belief that no one can have it all.  Even I don't go that far!  What did you say about "raising" kids?   Smile

Pages