What does feminism mean to you?

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-31-2011
What does feminism mean to you?
182
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 6:20am

I noted that feminism was touched upon in another thread and that people involved in the discussion seemed to have different definitions and outlooks on feminism. I'm curious about all of these different views and definitions not only as a student, but in the context of the WOH/SAH debate. 

FWIW, this wouldn't be the first place that I've heard about varying levels of feminism. I once stumbled across a group of women who were proud to tell me that they were anti-feminist, because they didn't hate men and they enjoyed wearing bras and having babies.

So, what does feminism mean to you? Do you think that feminism is big and complex enough to have multiple definitions?

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 10:52pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
There are other factors that play a role there, It's nice to pick and chose to make your point though....

Such as...

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 10:56pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
One glance at one of your links tells me it's still individually driven. And don't play gender politics on me, I don't buy what you're selling, Lol! I won't hover over my girls and tell that what fields they should enter b/c they need to make some female impression nor do I want them following somebody elses goals or dreams.

Sticking your fingers in your ears and/or your head in the sand doesn't make this issue go away.  

PumpkinAngel

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 2:42am
Jam, wow! All you see is a difference in shopping style?
Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 2:45am

Regina, nice links, but Jam already said that she is not interested in research on this issue. I am guessing because she feels she knows better.

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 2:48am
"One glance at one of your links tells me it's still individually driven. And don't play gender politics on me, I don't buy what you're selling, Lol!" --------- Am I understanding you correctly that your reply is basically holding your ears and saying "la-la-la-la-la" loudly?
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 3:55am

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>I think I misread the title of the discussion, Ha, Thanks! Feminist is a more common word than feminism IMO and about raising daughters, I'm not so caught up into what you are perhaps, Aside from shopping style and differences You'll have to prove to me where the unequal "playing field" is. All of my kids are in co-ed sports but I expect that to change once DS starts middle school soccer. In so far as career direction I won't encourage or discourage any one thing, I truly don't think there's enough evidence that women are paid less on the dollar than men for the same job/requiring the same skills, Many, many males and females work side by side anymore. </p>

Shopping style and differences?  Yes, many women and men work side by side but they are not paid equally, you know that....right?

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-31-2011
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 6:42am

thardy2001 wrote:
I've never been a feminist.  I believe in meritocracy.

Just to clarify, you believe that feminism is the opposite of meritocracy? 

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 7:14am

That would be wrong but good luck with your theories, My happy, well rounded children are being raised to not think of themselves as different and I can't fathom why a mom would raise her daughter to believe that, Or to think she must live up to somebody else's standard or expectation.   Please do re-visit the helicopter thread and define that for me, Thanks.

reginageorge2005 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">jamblessedthree</em> wrote:</div>One glance at one of your links tells me it's still individually driven. And don't play gender politics on me, I don't buy what you're selling, Lol! I won't hover over my girls and tell that what fields they should enter b/c they need to make some female impression nor do I want them following somebody elses goals or dreams.</blockquote></p><p>Forgive me, I don't speak your magic telescope language. I need you to clarify your position.</p><p>You deny that the gender gap exists? Moreover, you will be perfectly content w/your daughters earning a percentage of what your son makes just because they have ovaries and he has a penis. Correct? Because that's essentially what you just said.</p>

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 7:17am

Meritocracy is exactly my point, Don't slide the offer to a less qualified woman just b/c, well....  she has ovaries. 

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 7:20am
There is no such thing as having it all.

 


 


Pages