? for working moms

iVillage Member
? for working moms
Mon, 03-03-2008 - 11:08am

My son is six months old, and I have been back to work full time for four weeks.

I became upset over the weekend when two people (who are very close to me) made comments such as: "it seems like it would be so much easier to drop your kids off at daycare and work full time than to stay home", and even worse, "it's clearly easier to work and have someone else raise your kids than stay home". Both were stated by mothers who have never been in the position of working full-time with children. I disagree thoroughly with both comments (my life is certainly NOT easier now that I'm back to work!)

So... without stiring up the hornet's nest that is the "mommy war"... I am curious, how can I respond to statements like this? Should I respond, or just let it go? How long does it take to get over hearing hurtful things like this?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 7:00pm
And you have no bias? It's unrealistic to think that you do not.

VickiSiggy.jpg picture by mamalahk

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2008 - 11:40pm

Did I say I had *no* biase? But I don't base my decisions on friends on looks or waist size. But we need to have things in common. My friends don't smoke, or drink heavily

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 12:52pm

Ok it may not be bias, but it sure is something. It is unusual IRL or on a message board (about parenting) to come on and say you are beautiful & thin, and btw the all your friends are too. And btw your dh is gorgeous too and an athlete so he is in top shape too.

Two things come to mind. Either exaggeration or that what is needed to be in common w/you, to be your friend, does have a lot to do with looks (and more than you are willing to admit).

VickiSiggy.jpg picture by mamalahk

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 3:26pm
if her dh is hot, i can imagine how hot the nanny feels when she is with him all day!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2008 - 4:01pm

Hi Ladies!

I see that this thread has moved way off topic and we are going to close it to further posting. Please do not bring these off topic subjects in another thread as that will be considered