April 3. 1974 - Do you remember?

iVillage Member
April 3. 1974 - Do you remember?
Fri, 04-02-2004 - 9:10pm
There was a Super Cell of tornadoes that hit the South and Midwest that day. I was four at the time and have some memories. I have always been fascinated by that day. We've been having news stories on about it since it this is the 30th anniversary.

Here is an article about how it effected my Hometown and surrounding area.

http://www.wfpl.org/news_links_local.htm#depth

Was anyone else effected? I'd love to hear stories about other parts of the country that day.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2004 - 11:15pm
If I remember correctly (and I"d be remembering stories, not actual events as I was 3), that was the time of the big flood in Enid, OK. My dad has a t-shirt that says "I survived teh flood of '74". I remember my parents talking about it, but don't remember it in itself.

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color.  Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 9:13am
What I remember (Shamelessly trying to move this back to the top.)

I was four. My neighbor was in college at a local school in education. She needed a preschooler for some project and I was going with her. I remember my mother dressing me in my Easter dress and I remember waiting for Regina to pick me up. The dress was made out of leftovers from my sister's prom dress and I loved that dress.

The next thing I remember is sitting in the lobby at school waiting. It's funny because that is where I went to college and now I know exactly where we were. I remember a man coming up to us and telling us we needed to leave. I remember him saying something about the professor's chimney was in her front yard. That sticks in my mind.

The next thing I remember is driving with Regina and looking down a street and seeing a huge tree lying across that street crushing a red car.

What I have been told is that the man was a security guard and that he had to carry me to the car because the winds were so strong. Why we didn't go to the basement of that building, I don't know. The tornado destroyed the college's brand new tennis center buildings which were just on the other side of campus from where we were. (Small school, small campus.) I don't know if that happened before or after we left.

I have also been told that as Regina was driving home, she watched the tornado go through the park that was so badly damaged. She was basically driving south and it was going north east.

The next thing I remember is sitting in the basement with our cleaning lady. She came on Wednesdays and ironed in the basement where we had a TV. My mom was out shopping (Wednesday was her errand day because Mabel was there) and Dad was flying in from a business trip. I remember Mabel being very worried.

I also remember my brothers, who were Boyscouts, leaving to help with the clean-up.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 9:31am
Where was I?

In utero, developing a tail fin or something, I wasn't born until some six months later!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 10:00am
Ditto! I was born in the summer of '75! And in another country too....

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 10:26am
I was only 9 and things were still pretty remote up here, I dont remember anything about it. But I read the link and WOW! Thats just wild!!

Dj

"Now when I need help, I look in the mirror" ~Kanye West~

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 11:24am
We were living in Zweibruecken Germany at the time, and it got a bit of coverage on the German news (the spike in the phone pole thing really fascinated the Germans). some of my dad's local national employees asked him about it and I remember some of the German school kids in the neighborhood asking us about it, too. It was very hard to explain the real force and speed of a tornado to people who really couldn't comprehend it...they kept thinking in terms of hurricanes and having predictions hours in advance.

And the ones who did grasp it didn't understand why anyone would live some place subject to such unpredictable storms.

I'm sure we read about it later in the Trib (my dad had a mail-order subscription to the Chicago Tribune at the time), but that was 30 years ago, and I've long since forgotten it--we were pretty removed from it all.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 12:26pm
Oh, how cute. right after i graduated high school. yuck, bianca!! LOL. jk
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 8:44pm
I don't remember the tornados. I was 15 at the time. It was the day after my brother's 18th birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY A DAY LATE, BIG BRO!). But I have no memory of the tornados.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2004 - 9:47pm
What I remember about the outbreak is that my friend's aunt who lived in Ohio died in it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-04-2004 - 10:20am
How terrible! I know that a lot of people died and a lot more were injured. I've never actually talked to someone who knew someone who died.

We were very very lucky in our city that only two people died.

Pages