Are you on time? Are your kids?

Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Are you on time? Are your kids?
361
Mon, 04-22-2013 - 5:49pm

Do you arrive for work, doctor appointments, social events, etc on time?  What events (if any) warrant being early for?  Is there anything you purposely show up late for?  Explain. 

How about your kids? 

 

 

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-20-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:36pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">WRONG. I've stated before that I've stuck around for itty bitty b/c of her allergies. I always talk to the parents about it beforehand and I find telling them that I'll be there to administer the epi-pen should she go into anaphylaxis is a big relief for them. If you're not used to it, that's scary stuff. I understand that. My presence ensures that my kid has as normal of a childhood as possible. But I'm not there to socialize. I'm there to keep my kid alive. That is totally not on the same level. And I would never, ever, ever bring someone else w/me. Because that's rude. And I don't eat the cake b/c itty bitty can't. She brings her own safe cupcake.</span></p><p><span style="font-size:small"><strong><span style="text-align:left">I can't see any parent even blinking an eye to staying for any reason for a child that young, again, IME. Do they only have cake at those type of parties too? I have always been offered food, drinks and cake and have always purchased the same for other parents at the parties I have had.</span></strong></span></p>

Sometimes there is pizza--which is a no go for itty bitty. That's happened twice. Every other time it is just cake. I don't know that other parents would blink an eye. But I still maintain that inviting yourself somewhere you haven't been specifically invited to is rude. Which is why I always ask if they'd like me to stick around b/c of her medical issues.

On Wednesdays we wear pink.

Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:37pm
The last time I dropped DS off at a party was a couple months ago when we last talked about this on this board, Lol. I was the only mom who had to go b/c I had to be somewhere else but that was a 10th bd party. These swipes about how rude and awful sticking around is are really funny.

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:40pm

Sometimes there is pizza--which is a no go for itty bitty. That's happened twice. Every other time it is just cake. I don't know that other parents would blink an eye. But I still maintain that inviting yourself somewhere you haven't been specifically invited to is rude. Which is why I always ask if they'd like me to stick around b/c of her medical issues.

Oh ok, most parties I have been to have included food. Again, it must be the circles you are in as the parents are never excluded (because there name is not on the invite). It is not a wedding or a gala. It is a kids bday party where you buy a few extra pies and drinks and call it a day. lol

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:40pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
Your interpretation is that adults (I'll specify moms IME) "crash" kids' parties. That's not what it is but I don't expect you to understand that if you've never actually stuck around.

OF course not, I wasn't invited...it's a kids party.  Ime, parents drop off at parties and there isn't any kind of judgement associated with a parent dropping a kid off at a kid party.  I don't know what kind experience you have that is different but I'm okay with different experiences.  Really.  I won't even make a snarky judgement or bring it up later in a debate that is totally irrelevant because....well, I don't know why it was brought up.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:42pm

<<No, You're supposed to believe that b/c they don't stick around you shouldn't either, Lol.  The world really is bigger htan this.   >>

OH Jambles, I think you have that backwards....I could care less if anyone stuck around at a random birthday party 10+ years ago.  I do think it's funny that you brought it up though for some purpose...which kinda contradicts your "bigger than this", you know....since you brought it up.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:43pm

bordwithyou wrote:
Spring, if the parents of little kids are staying because everyone loves to socialize together since they all know each other, wouldn't the same logic hold when the kids get older? The reason to stay at a middle school party would be the same - a chance for the parents to socialize.

That's a good point bord, very good point.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:43pm

The last time I dropped DS off at a party was a couple months ago when we last talked about this on this board, Lol. I was the only mom who had to go b/c I had to be somewhere else but that was a 10th bd party. These swipes about how rude and awful sticking around is are really funny.

You would think it would be the opposite to NOT do things with your kids and watch and enjoy what they are doing lol

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:44pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p>Why would I stay at a younger child's party?  That's what I never understood, I don't need the time to socialize and really...it's a party for kids,  not a social time for me.</p><p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>Again, it all depends on the type of party and where it is located, IME.</span></span></p>

But you said it was because you were more social than others who didn't stay, why does it now depend on the type of party and where?  And why if you do this because you are more social, why stop when the kid gets older, are you less social then?

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:44pm

OF course not, I wasn't invited...it's a kids party.  Ime, parents drop off at parties and there isn't any kind of judgement associated with a parent dropping a kid off at a kid party.  I don't know what kind experience you have that is different but I'm okay with different experiences.  Really.  I won't even make a snarky judgement or bring it up later in a debate that is totally irrelevant because....well, I don't know why it was brought up.  

And there is no judgement at the parties I have attended with my child for the parent staying. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-20-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 1:46pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>You are wrong to assume that moms sticking around for kids' parties means they're crashing them. The objection is also that sticking around is some rude intrusion b/c moms aren't formally invited, Nonsense too.</p>

Per Emily Post re: invitation etiquette:

4. “May I bring…”

Don’t even ask! An invitation is extended to the people the hosts want to invite—and no one else.

Moreover, from Children's Party Etiquette on http://www.birthdayinabox.com/party-ideas/childrens-party-etiquette.html#:

What if I want a parent to stay? 
Sometimes you may want other parents on hand to help you supervise the children during the party. This is often helpful when you're hosting a group of kids five or younger. To make this request clear, you can add wording on the invitations asking that the invited child come with one parent. A good time to confirm this request is when the other parents call you to respond.

So, as previously stated by myself, Bord & PKA--if the parents want other parents there, their names should be on the invitation. And sticking around after age 5 is NOT the societal norm.

On Wednesdays we wear pink.

Pages