Are you on time? Are your kids?

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Are you on time? Are your kids?
361
Mon, 04-22-2013 - 5:49pm

Do you arrive for work, doctor appointments, social events, etc on time?  What events (if any) warrant being early for?  Is there anything you purposely show up late for?  Explain. 

How about your kids? 

 


 


Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:21pm

So since you used to go to kids birthday parties because you were more social and now the kids stay at home while you go to bars/restaurants...that really sounds like the kids birthday parties were more for the adults than kids?

We used to go (and my dh still does sometimes depending on where the party is) not because only because we and the other parents are social but because that is the normality in my circles. And again, these are 2 different circles for 2 different kids.

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2002
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:21pm

pumpkinangel wrote:
That's quite a judgement, following etiquetter and being polite is now stuffy?  </p>

I doubt anyone would call Emily Post'sd rules timely.  Isn't she dead?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:25pm

Um, it's a kids birthday party.

And? You don't like spending time with your child and seeing the things they do? I actually enjoy going to some of them, like the ones at the pet store, watching them dance and make their own ice cream sundaes when they were in preschool, watching them having a ball bowling, watching them running around doing lasertag, waving at the window, watching them run around with friends at amusements parks, etc.

Of course I like spending time with my child, what a silly assumption to make based on dropping off kids at birthday parties.  That is quite a judement there.  So based on your logic, now that you don't go to parties anymore that they are older, you don't like spending time with your kids anymore?  Yea, see how silly and rude that was?  


PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:27pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">So since you used to go to kids birthday parties because you were more social and now the kids stay at home while you go to bars/restaurants...that really sounds like the kids birthday parties were more for the adults than kids?</span></p><p style="text-align:left"><strong><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>We used to go (and my dh still does sometimes depending on where the party is) not because only because we and the other parents are social but because that is the normality in my circles. And again, these are 2 different circles for 2 different kids.</span></span></strong></p><p style="text-align:left"></p>

So since you used the comment that you were more social because you attended those parties, now you are not social?  I mean if that's your reason, you might want to follow it through...

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2002
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:27pm

pumpkinangel wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">jamblessedthree</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;You are wrong to assume that moms sticking around for kids' parties means they're crashing them. The objection is also that sticking around is some rude intrusion b/c moms aren't formally invited, Nonsense too.&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>IME, it would be because it is a party for kids and attending a party where one is not invited is rude, period.  What is nonsense is dropping this subject into a debate where it isn't relevant for agenda, clearly it bothers the person introducing the subject out the blue.</p><p> </p>

Are you saying you need a formal (verbal or written) invitation beforehand to stay at a party?  My mother used to say that kind of thing ~ she wouldn't stay unless invited in advance.  If many of the other parents stay, sometimes that's as formal as it gets.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:28pm

thardy2001 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">pumpkinangel</em> wrote:</div> That's quite a judgement, following etiquetter and being polite is now stuffy?  &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>I doubt anyone would call Emily Post'sd rules timely.  Isn't she dead?</p>

I guess social grace is dead for some, is that what you are saying?

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:29pm

Over the years, I've found moms who work full-time and miss out on the day-to-day socializing with other parents are happy to invite the other parents to kids' parties.  It's great for the community.  Moms who work part-time or SAH have probably had their fill of socializing.  Or maybe they feel they're paying back for the times other parents carpool/invite their kids over for visits?  I don't know.  It does seem to be within the ken of the working mom here though.  I'm fine with the dump-and-run at my house, for instance.

I am fine with anything also, stay or leave, I don't care. My home parties, the parents left but the ones out of the house, they have stayed. Many of these moms are SAHM's who see each other a lot because the kids go to school together, have playdates, have sports and activities together. Never thought twice about this as it was always the normal thing to do was to stay. Shrug. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:29pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I try to be anywhere from 5-15 minutes early for work and appointments and on time for social engagements unless there is a specific hard starting time (play, game, movie etc) then I am 5-15 minutes early.  I can't think of when it's okay to be late.</p><div><strong>Yes, you are 5-15 mins EARLY for work and appointments and ON TIME for social engagements unless there is a specific hard starting time (play, game, movie etc), then you are 5-15 minutes EARLY. "<span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I can't think of when it's okay to be late."</span></strong></div><div><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><br /></span></div><div><blockquote><div style="font-weight:bold"><em>springfever2013</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;Yes, you are on time. Never casually late, a term you never even knew existed until this thread :)&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"></p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Well no, that's not what I said, why bother asking if you aren't going to read the answers?</p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><strong>So now you know what casually late means? And when in any of these scenarios would you consider yourself casually late when you have CLEARLY stated you are either EARLY or ON TIME?</strong></p></div><div><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><br /></span></div>

Okay...one last time.  Read   the   first   two   words of my post.  Early or on time are not the only two options.  Read all the words, as written and we wouldn't need 15 posts to say simple things.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:30pm

I doubt anyone would call Emily Post'sd rules timely.  Isn't she dead?

Ya think?!!! lol. She died in 1960!!! lol


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:32pm

Of course I like spending time with my child, what a silly assumption to make based on dropping off kids at birthday parties.  That is quite a judement there.  So based on your logic, now that you don't go to parties anymore that they are older, you don't like spending time with your kids anymore?  Yea, see how silly and rude that was?

Nope, not silly at all. There are differences when they are younger and older and the things that they do and discover. I still enjoy spending time with my older kids and their friends. It is a different dynamic though and they would like their own personal space and again, the older they get, the parties are different and like I said before, the parties my teen goes to now are sleepovers.

Pages