Education and politics

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Education and politics
170
Thu, 12-05-2013 - 7:45am

http://dianeravitch.net/2013/12/03/my-view-of-the-pisa-scores/

I always find it interesting the continued attention to other countries the United States compares itself to, Perhaps that's the root of the problem after all.  This author makes a lot of outstanding points. 

Thoughts? 

 

 


 


Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 6:28pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>You'd need to know Pope Francis savcal, He still hasn't moved into the papal residence, he lives and practices among the poor and the sick, He would never place himself above those most vulnerable.  Chestnut has shown otherwise.  That is nice she loves the man, a lot of people do and that's a wonderful thing.  </p>

I'm not sure how your have come to that conclusion,  if anything it has been your words (by saying that being poor is an attitude) that places yourself above others, by having a better attitude.

PumpkinAngel

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 6:43pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>You'd need to know Pope Francis savcal, He still hasn't moved into the papal residence, he lives and practices among the poor and the sick, He would never place himself above those most vulnerable.  Chestnut has shown otherwise.  That is nice she loves the man, a lot of people do and that's a wonderful thing.  </p>

What makes you think I don't know Pope Francis? One doesn't have to be Catholic to be aware of, knowledgeable about, and interested in the Pope. Nothing you posted here about him is anything I didn't already know. 

But you did fail to show anyting was hypocritical in chestnut's postings.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-13-2009
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 6:45pm

pumpkinangel wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">jamblessedthree</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;You'd need to know Pope Francis savcal, He still hasn't moved into the papal residence, he lives and practices among the poor and the sick, He would never place himself above those most vulnerable.  Chestnut has shown otherwise.  That is nice she loves the man, a lot of people do and that's a wonderful thing.  &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>I'm not sure how your have come to that conclusion,  if anything it has been your words (by saying that being poor is an attitude) that places yourself above others, by having a better attitude.</p>

PKA - My husband and I make a good living. We have advanced education and we've been fortunate in our career chioces, but I believe that retail workers, fast food workers, elder care workers, farm workers, social workers etc should also make a living wage.  Some jobs should not be market driven, they should provide a living wage...period. It appears Pope Francis thinks the same. 

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 6:47pm

just_another_marla wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">savcal2011</em> wrote:</div>Can you provide an example of what you think chesnut has written that is hypocritical? </blockquote></p><p>Are you down for a small gamble, Sav? I have $5 that says she won't bother to answer or clarify her statement in any way. </p>

Hey, I may be a glutton for punishment, but I'm not stupid.

But since she has tried to clarify now, that might not have been a bad bet.  lol

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 6:48pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>You'd need to know Pope Francis savcal, He still hasn't moved into the papal residence, he lives and practices among the poor and the sick, He would never place himself above those most vulnerable.  Chestnut has shown otherwise.  That is nice she loves the man, a lot of people do and that's a wonderful thing.  </p>

Oh, and sure it's nice she loves the Pope.   But I think it's more important that she love the poverty-stricken too.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-2013
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 6:56pm

thardy2001 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">just_another_marla</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;Thardy, not all of my studies are conducted inside a classroom. Have you stopped exploring your own personal thoughts just because you've completed your education?&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;I understand that women aren't a &lt;em&gt;numerical&lt;/em&gt; minority, but they are a minority group as defined sociologically.  &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>Women are not a minority in fact or in the law.   Maybe your course of studies isn't beneficial.  That happens.</p>

On the contrary. There are entire theological subsets devoted to other, other being defined as other than white male theology: including women's liberation theology, black theology, LGBTQ theology. It is a completely fascinating course of study AND quite relevant today. 

Moreover, as woman, I disagree that we aren't a minority. Are we equally represented in Congress? On Fortune 500 boards? Has pay equality been achieved? Did I miss a female POTUS? Nope. Nope. Nope. And nope. Women are still other and maybe my daughter will achieve pay equality with her brother. But that isn't a societal reality yet.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-2013
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 7:05pm

bordwithyou wrote:
"I almost always agree with his financial advice. He's helped a lot of people turn their lives around. It is sound, tested, smart, effective advice that works. But I have to listen with one ear, because I have to weed out the evangelical preaching that he throws in." Where I disagree with his advice is often on the nitty-gritty details. For instance, objectively, it would often make financial sense for some of these people to transfer multiple balances on high-interest credit cards to a low-interest card or loan. But he is against that because it's a "band-aid solution." Well, yeah, it is, but if you do that PLUS take his "tough love" advice, you are going to pay off your debt faster. It's like her really thinks people deserve to suffer for their last sins as much as possible on the way to financial redemption.

Yup. That's my beef with him. That and he seems to be more about paying off debt than building wealth, which is a healthier long term situation.

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-31-2011
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 7:47pm

LBGTQ theology...

I think I just heard someone's pearls clutching in a fit of outrage. 

Here's a paper bag for your hyperventilation. BREATHE girl, BREATHE. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-2013
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 7:51pm

Ah well, if I didn't already know where he was from, it is quite obvious by his practice of theology that Pope Francis is from Latin America. Gustavo Gutierrez and the Medellin Conference appear to have made quite an impact on Francis and his theology, particularly re: the poor. 

Google it, Jambles, and get back to me when your head stops spinning. 

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Sun, 12-08-2013 - 9:04pm

I wonder what the pope would think of this you wrote earlier,

My family cared about education above all else, we did have food stamps temporarily, my parents were immigrants, and my mom could not work for several years . A single mom working at Wal-Mart probably cares less about ed and more about survival. My father was college educated, many in poverty are not. The fact that I could rise above poverty was more about the education of my parents than their earnings at the time

Would he agree that poverty can be cured by education or by a world of compassion and fairness for all?  You know, he doesn't follow greed or how great your company looks on the NYSE either. 

He's a jesuit not stupid like that reads.  

 


 


Pages