End of School Year Fluff

iVillage Member
End of School Year Fluff
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:12am

1.  Do your kids go to school on the last day of school?

2.  Do you throw (or let them throw) an end of year party for their friends?

3.  How many *graduation ceremonies* will/have your children experienced in their life time?

Ducky

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:44pm

I have a hard time apply the social obligations of a working adult to an elementary or middle school child, but that's me.  

Why? An elementary school child gets their work ethics from how they go to school. If they know that they need to go unless they are very sick or other emergency reasons, then they will continue that into their adulthood.

If they had a choice to not go or go half day instead of full day, wouldn't the school indicate that for the last day? 

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:44pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Sure, and many, many don't.  For some it's a great time to clean, organize their departments, do what you can't do during busy times.  My working friends and DH discuss this every year.  They save time-off for days schools are closed.  You may get a lot of vacation time but most people don't. </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">True. I usually take the week between Christmas and New Years but most people do not. We do have 2 dept luncheons that week before the holidays and a cookie swap. </span></strong></p>

That often comes with position and seniority too.  I never had that and actually liked slower days at the office!  But that was pre-kids, pre-responsibility!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:42pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">FYI, there are a number of students who don't attend the middle school last day for a variety of reasons, some parental reasons and some student reasons.  I don't see the need to force a child or parent into something outside of their comfort zone just because it's techanically called a school day, but I understand that others may feel differently.  </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Comfort zone? I must be missing something as it is a school day. No matter if they are having a test or cleaning up and being social. What is the difference between the 2nd to last day to the last day?</span></strong></p>

Comfort zone sounds like being alone, sleeping in late, playing video games all day until parents come home.  And daycare may be great, but I don't see the preference for putting the K, 1st, 2nd, etc grade kid in daycare a few days when school is open and his same-age peers are there to socialize with.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:39pm

My guess is that the 2nd to last day still has some educational value, and the last day does not. That's pretty much true here (for ES at least).

I would have to take a gander (from my own experiences and my kids) that pretty much the last week is a little bit of teaching but a lot of cleaning up to get ready to end the year. I can't see how EXTREME the last day would be and why it would affect some kids. 

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:38pm

<<Apparently only working adults get to enjoy the social days before, say Christmas, New Years.  Many offices slow down right before the holidays, with parties, lunches.  Bonding occurs between employees and even bosses!  Oldest dd's (age 11) class schedule was truncated in the last weeks, but the library and cafeteria are open the full school day.  I told her to pop in early to join in the (much exaggerated IMO) "Oh, my Lord, finals are killing me!"  She did and sat with her same friends ~ she now has plans for the local ice cream parlor, clothes shopping locally and a slumber party. >>

I have a hard time apply the social obligations of a working adult to an elementary or middle school child, but that's me.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:37pm

I can only imagine how fast some kids would glom onto those arguments!  I'm glad mine really like even the last days of school and don't want to spend it, what?, with me-going to the gym-going grocery shopping? Because that's what they would do ~ be social NOT sit home sleeping in, playing video games alone.  And since the teachers show up, my children will too.

It's like college ~ not *if* they're going to college, just *which* college.

I don't get it if you don't want to be social the last day thing. What about the rest of the year? What did they do then when they were around the same kids and teachers for 6 hours?

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:35pm

springfever2013 wrote:
Comfort zone? I must be missing something as it is a school day. No matter if they are having a test or cleaning up and being social. What is the difference between the 2nd to last day to the last day?</span></strong></p>

My guess is that the 2nd to last day still has some educational value, and the last day does not. That's pretty much true here (for ES at least).

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:35pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with going to school on an allegedly "just social" school day!  There's nothing wrong with being social.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I don't get it either. I never heard of giving a child the decision if they could go the last day. What about the 2nd to last day and 3rd to last day? The last week is mostly just cleaning up and doing social things anyway. My kids wouldn't want to miss any of that.</span></strong></p>

I can only imagine how fast some kids would glom onto those arguments!  I'm glad mine really like even the last days of school and don't want to spend it, what?, with me-going to the gym-going grocery shopping? Because that's what they would do ~ be social NOT sit home sleeping in, playing video games alone.  And since the teachers show up, my children will too.

It's like college ~ not *if* they're going to college, just *which* college.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:34pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p>LOVE.THAT Thardy and yes, I don't see why kids wouldn't want to be there the last day. Not getting PKA's "comfort zone" thing.</p>

That's because you don't know her kids. She does. 

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-13-2013 - 1:30pm

Sure, and many, many don't.  For some it's a great time to clean, organize their departments, do what you can't do during busy times.  My working friends and DH discuss this every year.  They save time-off for days schools are closed.  You may get a lot of vacation time but most people don't. 

True. I usually take the week between Christmas and New Years but most people do not. We do have 2 dept luncheons that week before the holidays and a cookie swap. 

Pages