End of School Year Fluff

iVillage Member
End of School Year Fluff
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:12am

1.  Do your kids go to school on the last day of school?

2.  Do you throw (or let them throw) an end of year party for their friends?

3.  How many *graduation ceremonies* will/have your children experienced in their life time?

Ducky

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 6:06pm

I think that celebrating a girl's 16th birthday, maybe even with a party, is not a regional thing.  I think that celebrating a Sweet Sixteen with a lavish, over-the-top party is not a regional thing.  But I do maintain that a lavish, over-the-top party as "the norm" or as an "expected thing" or even as "common" is a regional thing.    And by regional I don't mean limited to ONE region- there may be multiple regions, of which LI is one.

Possibly. Googling Sweet 16's you find many things and cakes, which again, like you have said is not in just one region.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 5:54pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">You know, I'm not sure that I would use MTV as a basis for what is the norm, lol. </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I wasn't. I was using that as an indication that it is not a regional thing. It happens all over the country.</span></strong></p>

I think that celebrating a girl's 16th birthday, maybe even with a party, is not a regional thing.  I think that celebrating a Sweet Sixteen with a lavish, over-the-top party is not a regional thing.  But I do maintain that a lavish, over-the-top party as "the norm" or as an "expected thing" or even as "common" is a regional thing.    And by regional I don't mean limited to ONE region- there may be multiple regions, of which LI is one.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 5:10pm
1. My kids have gone to the last day of school every year but this year. This year my DS took off the last two days of school to go to an astrophysics conference. 2. We don't throw parties but each boy had been friends with families that throw end-of-school-year parties out in the country. It is usually a camp out sleepover with a bonfire where the boys throw in workbooks and old papers from the preceding school year. 3. My older son had a ceremony at the end of 5th grade and high school graduation. The younger one didn't want to go to the 5th grade one and is talking about skipping the high school one as well.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 4:46pm

Yep, just like BravoTV shows us that here are "housewives" all over the country.  Don't get me wrong, I think people all over the world have sweet sixteen parties and I'm sure that there are people that spend a little and some that spend a lot....I just wouldn't use MTV as a judge for what is the norm in different areas.

No, I wasn't using it as a judge for what is the norm. I only used it as an example that these type of parties are not just regional as some posters have indicated. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 4:45pm

I understand that some people have them from all over the place.  In some places, like LI, everyone has one, because if you do not, your kid feels deprived--cause it's the norm.  Nowhere did I say that's the only place where it's common for everyone to do it. 

I would venture to say that many places are like this but since we are not aware of every town in every state, we can't just assume it is regional. 

And like EVERY reality show, it's not reality.  YOu can't claim that those people did not have a bigger party than they would have, since MTV was showing them in their show.  You just don't know.  I'm saying it's probable. 

Oh, I know that it is not all real but I would say it is pretty close to how these people are IRL. 

And I don't see where I said big parties are limited to LI.  I used LI as an example, not that's the only place that has big parties.  I tend to talk in generalities, when I talk about huge areas...cause I'm pretty sure there are at least 10 girls on the Island, that turned 16 in the last 5 years & didn't have a party.  For whatever reason. And I'm willing to bet it was much more than 10.  And I'm willing to bet that at least 10 girls in the every region of the US (that's above median income) had a sweet 16 party in the last 5 years.  You can't just say, that people have them from all over and consider that something to point out to someone else who disagrees with you.  Because it's a given.

Maybe you should use a region then and not point out certain places. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 4:34pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">You know, I'm not sure that I would use MTV as a basis for what is the norm, lol. </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I wasn't. I was using that as an indication that it is not a regional thing. It happens all over the country.</span></strong></p>

Yep, just like BravoTV shows us that here are "housewives" all over the country.  Don't get me wrong, I think people all over the world have sweet sixteen parties and I'm sure that there are people that spend a little and some that spend a lot....I just wouldn't use MTV as a judge for what is the norm in different areas.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 4:26pm

You know, I'm not sure that I would use MTV as a basis for what is the norm, lol. 

I wasn't. I was using that as an indication that it is not a regional thing. It happens all over the country.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 4:21pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">"Sweet 16's are a big hoopla event by me. The dress, the friends, the candle ceremonies, etc, etc." It must be regional... I can't even imagine.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">As I was saying to Lauren, it might be but many of those (WAY over the top parties) on MTV were all over the nation so it seems they do have them outside of my area.</span></strong></p>

You know, I'm not sure that I would use MTV as a basis for what is the norm, lol. 

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 4:12pm

I understand that some people have them from all over the place.  In some places, like LI, everyone has one, because if you do not, your kid feels deprived--cause it's the norm.  Nowhere did I say that's the only place where it's common for everyone to do it. 

And like EVERY reality show, it's not reality.  YOu can't claim that those people did not have a bigger party than they would have, since MTV was showing them in their show.  You just don't know.  I'm saying it's probable. 

And I don't see where I said big parties are limited to LI.  I used LI as an example, not that's the only place that has big parties.  I tend to talk in generalities, when I talk about huge areas...cause I'm pretty sure there are at least 10 girls on the Island, that turned 16 in the last 5 years & didn't have a party.  For whatever reason. And I'm willing to bet it was much more than 10.  And I'm willing to bet that at least 10 girls in the every region of the US (that's above median income) had a sweet 16 party in the last 5 years.  You can't just say, that people have them from all over and consider that something to point out to someone else who disagrees with you.  Because it's a given.

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 2:21pm

<<I think boys are easier with the bday party thing as they get older. I don't really hear much of a boys "sweet sixteen" by me. It is usually a girl thing. I am trying to steer my girl away from the very expensive party. My gf just had one last year for her dd and she said she got away "cheap" at $7,000 for it. >>

If you don't want to do it, why not just say no?

I have said no. I do want to do something special for her but am not going to spend that amount of money to do so.

Pages