End of School Year Fluff

iVillage Member
End of School Year Fluff
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:12am

1.  Do your kids go to school on the last day of school?

2.  Do you throw (or let them throw) an end of year party for their friends?

3.  How many *graduation ceremonies* will/have your children experienced in their life time?

Ducky

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:44am

No joke about bday parties every year... I know one woman who *had to* combine her dd's 18th bday party, grad party and end of year party for ds, b/c the girl was getting married less than a month later, and there just wasn't time to plan (yet) another party.

Married at 18? Surprised 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:43am

Parents seem to think that their kids need to have a party for every single birthday.... but they get a bigger party for 16.

We always did parties each year, nothing huge. My dd will be 16 next year and I would rather do a vacation of her choice then have to spend close to $10,000 for a party at a hall. 

Then there are the couples who throw parties for eachother, every year, for their birthdays, grad parties, end of year parties..... they never seem to end. Honestly, I am surprised that some of these people don't throw a party when jr potty trains. @@

Bawahhhaaa....

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:41am
No joke about bday parties every year... I know one woman who *had to* combine her dd's 18th bday party, grad party and end of year party for ds, b/c the girl was getting married less than a month later, and there just wasn't time to plan (yet) another party.

Ducky

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:40am

1.  Yes.  Although "make" really isn't the word.  Having/going to school on scheduled school days is the default not the exception.  With homeschooling, I do preemt subjects that Dylan needs my help on for work related deadlines or family related stuff (i.e. babysitting the grandkids).

2.  I take Dylan out for lunch the last day of school/last conference of the year.

3.  3, I think, not counting college/technical school of some kind.  Kindergarten, 5th grade, high school.

Chris

The truth may be out there but lies are in your head. Terry Pratchett

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:38am
Parents seem to think that their kids need to have a party for every single birthday.... but they get a bigger party for 16. Then there are the couples who throw parties for eachother, every year, for their birthdays, grad parties, end of year parties..... they never seem to end. Honestly, I am surprised that some of these people don't throw a party when jr potty trains. @@

Ducky

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:34am

I don't know what it is, but people *around here* seem to be party crazy...they throw parties for everything.  My oldest was invited to her first end of year party in the 3rd grade.  My kindy asked if he could have one this year.  He's still *little*, but he will learn soon enough.... 

We have the younger birthdays, sweet 16's and high school graduation parties. I think my ds was invited to one end of the year swim party but I am pretty sure it was combined with their bday also.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:32am

Oh, I forgot the 5th grade graduation ceremony also. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:32am

"Do you throw (or let them throw) an end of year party for their friends? They've never asked."

I don't know what it is, but people *around here* seem to be party crazy...they throw parties for everything.  My oldest was invited to her first end of year party in the 3rd grade.  My kindy asked if he could have one this year.  He's still *little*, but he will learn soon enough.... 

Ducky

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:27am
I forgot preK, lol. My youngest didn't go to preschool, so we missed that one. :)

Ducky

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-11-2013 - 10:26am

1.  Do your kids go to school on the last day of school?  Yes, unless there is a good reason not to.

2.  Do you throw (or let them throw) an end of year party for their friends? They've never asked.

3.  How many *graduation ceremonies* will/have your children experienced in their life time?  PreK, 5th grade, 8th grade, high school, college, graduate school.