Marriage equality argument

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-20-2013
Marriage equality argument
213
Tue, 03-26-2013 - 8:21pm

So the sole argument against marriage equality is that marriage is for procreation? Where exactly does that leave menopausal women? Or men with ED? Or the infertile? 

I can not believe we are STILL having this discussion in 2013. I have noticed that it is generational though--many of boomers I know are against it. Gen Xers like myself and younger are generally in favor...

On Wednesdays we wear pink.

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-14-2011
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:40pm
"You know what Jesus said about discrimination, don't you?" --------- I honestly don't think she does.
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:40pm

<<She hasn't said anything on this thread that surprised me, unfortunately. >>

Sadly that is true, this is just the latest group that is targeted.  So sad, difference can be beautiful AND equal without harming anyone.


PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-14-2011
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:42pm
I remember "differences are beautiful". What a crock.... EVERYTHING she has posted since then contradicts that statement. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:46pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
Then leave the thread, I'll follow you Katie. Gay rights among other poltiical issues are hugely debatable. You want this to get personal now? Wow! I find calling my church a judgemental one offensive and being called a bigot is offensive. This isn't about you it's about the issue and there will always be two sides of it just like other issues, Stand up for what you believe in but don't convince me of it.

Except she hasn't done that, she is a member of your church and she has been nothing but nice to someone who doesn't think she is equal.  Why on earth do you think equal treatment has two sides other than right and wrong?  Do you also believe that women or African American people don't have the right to vote, hold property and be equal as well?  Because it's the same thing under the law and why you wouldn't agree to equal rights when you have so very many rights is beyond me.  Shocking really.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:49pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
More harm? Don't play score card with me. Again, Get the 41 other states on board with you, It's a non-issue for me albeit argumentative. It's a shame neither one of us will be around in 3013 to see how the church turns out hammer...

Why do you continue to keep score in these types of things?  How can equality be a non issue for you?

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-20-2013
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:49pm

bordwithyou wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">jamblessedthree</em> wrote:</div>Then leave the thread, I'll follow you Katie. Gay rights among other poltiical issues are hugely debatable. You want this to get personal now? Wow! I find calling my church a judgemental one offensive and being called a bigot is offensive. This isn't about you it's about the issue and there will always be two sides of it just like other issues, Stand up for what you believe in but don't convince me of it.</blockquote></p><p>Your church is judgmental.  That is a fact.  The cardinals, pope, hierarchy exist to make judgments.  That is a fact.  You seem to have something against facts, and calling things what they are.  You know what a bigot is, right?  Here's the dictionary definition:  "One intolerantly devoted to his own church, party, or opinion."  You are intolerant of homosexual marriage.  You are devoted to that opinion.  There is no reason not to call you a bigot. Everything you have said on this thread fits the definition of a bigot.  <br /><br />The issue of gay rights is about how we as a society will treat gay people.  You are okay with denying some people the rights and privileges that other people enjoy.  How can that not be personal.<br /><br />On what possible basis do you want to deny these rights to people like Katie and her family?</p>

Jam, if you don't want to be called a bigot, then do not express a bigoted opinion. When you claim that gay families don't deserve the same rights that you already hold as a heterosexual, that is exactly the same as someone claiming 50 years ago that blacks don't deserve the same rights as whites. It is bigotry, plain and simple.

Frankly, I'm glad you're offended. Welcome to the club. You, Hazel and Tinder's comments about my daughter's life threatening allergies were absolutely disgusting. You manage to offend me almost every single time you open your mouth. So welcome to the club.

On Wednesdays we wear pink.

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:50pm
That assumes you're in a higher tax bracket, I really don't know.. Are you? It's hard to read what's real on mesage boards. Money, if you have it, aren't what people go around bragging about anyway....

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:51pm

lifespeachy wrote:
"Stand up for what you believe in but don't convince me of it." ------- Oh, and nobody is trying to convince you of anything. You can go on living your life as usual, living how you want, with all of your rights in tact. Woulnd't it be nice if all Americans could do that?

Up on that ivory tower again.  I don't understand how anyone who has equal rights can willingly chose to withhold those rights from others.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-14-2011
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:52pm
"That assumes you're in a higher tax bracket, I really don't know.. Are you? It's hard to read what's real on mesage boards. Money, if you have it, aren't what people go around bragging about anyway...." ------ You're kidding...right?
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 03-29-2013 - 3:53pm

<<Paint any picture you want, You've carefully mastered what it is you want my posts to mean.  Furthermore, The institute of the RCC sets forth principles by which the faithful follow, The counter attacks and context by which judgement was used in this thread most certainly is an insult.  Your choice to not understand that is not my problem.  You know nothing about me IRL or what I tolerate, But it's safe to assume what you think I am not, That's real nice Bord. >>

What do you have against the facts and what part of this is not a church issue didn't you understand?  The insults in this thread are the comments you are posting.  It's not a matter of us understanding,quite the opposite.


PumpkinAngel

Pages