Meal plan for the week of 11/3:

iVillage Member
Meal plan for the week of 11/3:
Sun, 11-03-2013 - 4:42pm

SUN: tuna tacos, black bean salad
MON: creamy Mediterranean pasta, salad
TUES: turkey roulades with ham and swiss, roasted potato medley
WED: French onion and apple soup, bread, salad
THURS: Goat cheese, carmelized onion, arugula and prosciutto pizza (The Boy will have pepperoni)
FRI: Kung pao chicken and rice

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-06-2013 - 9:05am

<<I used kale for the first time, they weren't too sure about that, lol.  Do any of you have some favorite kale recipes?>>

I've been using kale more and more, I really like it and I think dh is going to grow it in the garden next year.  I have been mixing it in with other lettuces for salads.  I use it in the Cooking Light soup recipe that Sav and I were talking about.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/20-20-superfast-soups-00400000039394/page11.html

I've made the following and they have all been pretty good.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/garlic-roasted-kale-50400000107528/

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sauteed-Kale-108742

http://norecipes.com/blog/sauteed-kale-with-garlic/

http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/sauteed-kale-with-parmesan-cheese/

This is on my list to try:  http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/kale-recipes-00412000074204/page7.html

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-05-2013 - 12:51pm

Roasted Kale (also called Kale chips) are a hit at our house...at least with 3of the 4 of us.  I've done a couple recipes but have stuck with the one that I chop up garlic and then you cut the Kale into bite size pieces.  First cut out the stem, then cut in pices maybe about as big as a potato chip, doesn't have to be too small they shrink a bit.  But too big and they kind of break while you are trying to eat them.  Then take all the kale and put in a bag or a bowl, add olive oil and cut up garlic and mix up so the kale has some olive oil on it.  Then put on a cookie sheet in one layer (I usually have to do 2 big cookie sheets for a head of kale) so the pieces are not on top of eachother. Sprinkly lightly with salt.  Bake on 400 for 4 minutes take out turn the kale over and cook for 3 minutes.  You can adjust the time & temp, I've seen recipes where you cook at 350 for 20 minutes, but we didn't like that they turned soggy after 5 minutes.  When you take the cookie sheet out, take out any that look mostly crisp.  If they still seem wet, put the ones still on the cookie sheet back in the oven for another minute & check again. 

I tried a bottle of sea salt mixed with italian spices that you can grind onto food on the kale chips & really liked it.

I like kale in soup too.  

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-04-2013 - 9:48pm

Made soup this evening, instead of meat loaf.  My family doesn't typically like soup, but they all seemed to enjoy it tonight.  I used kale for the first time, they weren't too sure about that, lol.  Do any of you have some favorite kale recipes?

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-04-2013 - 12:35pm
I couldn't find Spanish chorizo here, so I used hot links ... they worked very well. The second time I subbed mustard greens for the kale. It worked, but the kale was better. And I used way more hot links than the recipe called for ...

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-04-2013 - 10:06am

iamvelma wrote:
One head of cauliflower, tbs of cream cheese, 1/4c parm cheese, salt &amp; pepper to taste. Cook the cauliflower, drain and dry well, mix all of the ingredients with an immersion blender.

Sounds good, thanks!

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-04-2013 - 9:39am
One head of cauliflower, tbs of cream cheese, 1/4c parm cheese, salt & pepper to taste. Cook the cauliflower, drain and dry well, mix all of the ingredients with an immersion blender.
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-04-2013 - 8:18am

<<Skinless, roasted chicken, mashed cauliflower, carrot & zuccini sticks>>

How do you prepare your mashed cauliflower?

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-04-2013 - 8:18am

savcal2011 wrote:
Ummm, is that soup recipe a CL one? I have made a chorizo, white bean and kale soup twice in the last few months ... and it's great.

Yes, that's what I started with.  However, I bought the wrong sausage (the raw Mexican kind) so I cooked it, then drained and rinsed to remove a lot of the fat before adding.  I also added a couple of tomatoes, chopped and a can of tomato paste.  Everyone really liked the soup and I've made it a couple of times in the last month too.  I really like kale, I can't believe I overlooked it for so long!   We received some beets in our veggie box last week, I'm going to try and duplicate the salad/app we had a few weeks ago this week.  I'm going to roast the beets first..

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-03-2013 - 9:33pm

In no particular order:

Stuffed Red Peppers & green salad

Skinless, roasted chicken, mashed cauliflower, carrot & zuccini sticks

Meatloaf, potatoes, green beans & green salad

Spag. squash w/ marinara sauce, brocolli

Tacos

Pork Chops, quinoa, fresh veggies

Night of left overs

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-03-2013 - 9:00pm
Ummm, is that soup recipe a CL one? I have made a chorizo, white bean and kale soup twice in the last few months ... and it's great.

Pages