Sun, 02-16-2014 - 2:16pm

SUNDAY:  tortellini bruschetta salad, turkey smoked sausage

MONDAY: taco potatoes

TUESDAY:   Banquet food (and wine) at the Research Week Gala

WEDNESDAY: pulled pork with Carolina BBQ sauce, cole slaw, broccoli

THURSDAY: Out with the office ladies

FRIDAY: Pepperoni chicken, pasta with marinara sauce

SATURDAY: javanese pork, rice

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:35pm

I add butter and sour cream to baked potatoes which adds some calories.  We usually make mashed potatoes with some butter and milk.  We prefer to be creative in our main dishes more than our sides-- we usually cook at least 1 or 2 new main dishes each week.  DH makes the menus and cooks most of the time.  I'm cooking on Wednesday nights this semester and came up with the tilapia recipe.  DH likes to have a starch with each meal, and we generally alternate between potatoes, bread, rice, and pasta.  This week is a potato heavy week.  We may swap out bread for potatoes on one of those nights.

So basically you are not eating the potatoes healthy. When I have sweet potatoes often, usually for lunch, I just put a dash of cinnamon on them. That's all.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:35pm

DH likes to think of corn as a vegetable, but I usually try to make salads or some other vegetable if corn is one of the sides.

You dont digest corn TMI lol

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:39pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
So basically you are not eating the potatoes healthy. When I have sweet potatoes often, usually for lunch, I just put a dash of cinnamon on them. That's all.

Adding a little bit of butter and sour cream does not make the potatoes unhealthy.  Fat is a necessary component for a healthy diet.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:39pm

But for S&Gs, here's some of the creative sides I've listed in my meal plans recently:

fried rice with edamame, ratatouille, Butternut squash gratin with blue cheese and sage, roasted Brussels sprouts with pancetta and shallots (Huh. Guess I do list it that way sometimes), Spaghetti squash with browned butter and sage, parmesan spaghetti squash, tomato/mozzarella salad with balsamic reduction, winter-greens slaw with warm bacon dressing, diablo corn, caramelized onion soup, egg drop soup

And that's just sides. I didn't even include potentially creative main dishes.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:40pm

<div style="color:#111111; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; text-align:left; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; background-color:#ffffff"><div><ul></ul></div></div><div style="border-bottom-color:#cccccc; border-bottom-width:1px; border-bottom-style:solid; color:#111111; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:13px; font-style:normal; font-variant:normal; font-weight:normal; text-align:left; text-indent:0px; text-transform:none; background-color:#ffffff"><div><div><div><blockquote><div style="font-weight:bold"><em>blackandwhitemolly</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;Yep, that was one day. The rest not. &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote><p>Three starches in one meal isn't excessive?   I try very hard not to even serve two starches in one meal.   It happens, but I try not to do it.</p><p>You must not be Italian. Talk about having too much starch at Sunday dinner lol.</p></div></div></div></div>

Yeah, I don't get the serving bread and pasta thing.  But I'm not a carb lover or carb addict.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:41pm

<p><span>I add butter and sour cream to baked potatoes which adds some calories.  We usually make mashed potatoes with some butter and milk.  We prefer to be creative in our main dishes more than our sides-- we usually cook at least 1 or 2 new main dishes each week.  DH makes the menus and cooks most of the time.  I'm cooking on Wednesday nights this semester and came up with the tilapia recipe.  DH likes to have a starch with each meal, and we generally alternate between potatoes, bread, rice, and pasta.  This week is a potato heavy week.  We may swap out bread for potatoes on one of those nights.</span></p><p>So basically you are not eating the potatoes healthy. When I have sweet potatoes often, usually for lunch, I just put a dash of cinnamon on them. That's all.</p>

Small amounts of butter and milk aren't unhealthy.  

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:44pm

savcal2011 wrote:
Yeah, I don't get the serving bread and pasta thing.  But I'm not a carb lover or carb addict.

My parents (not at all Italian!) usually had bread on the table for most meals.  Generally, if we have bread on the table, we don't have any other starches-- we do eat a lot more bread in the summer though.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:46pm

I am an everything lover lol. I have been trying to eat more loaded salads lately. So good and healthy.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:47pm

<p>Sale on potatoes? Lol</p>

...at least it wasn't hotdogs, lol.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-17-2014 - 3:47pm

geschichtsgal wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">savcal2011</em> wrote:</div>Yeah, I don't get the serving bread and pasta thing.  But I'm not a carb lover or carb addict.</blockquote></p><p>My parents (not at all Italian!) usually had bread on the table for most meals.  Generally, if we have bread on the table, we don't have any other starches-- we do eat a lot more bread in the summer though.</p>

We call The Boy Carbohydrate Boy - he'll eat copious amounts of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes ... but I'm not a carb gal, and dh is happy to eat whatever, as is The Girl. So I tend to be reasonable with carbs. Some nights I add in couscous or rice, just so the carb lover has it.   I could easily do without. I tell dh all the time that a bun is just a vehicle to get the meat into my mouth, lol.

Pages