Meal plan for the week of 7/27:

iVillage Member
Meal plan for the week of 7/27:
Sat, 07-27-2013 - 6:39pm

SAT: buffalo green chile stew, egg noodles, sautéed squash, watermelon

SUN: Mexican stuffed chicken breasts, diablo corn

MON: Kyoto (sushi) for The Girl's birthday!

TUES: Grilled pork chops, corn on the cob, tomato/cucumber/feta salad

WED: Grilled chicken breasts, grilled okra, cantaloupe

THURS: Italian sausage, Mediterranean couscous salad

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-28-2013 - 4:25am

No real plans this week. Dd is out in one of the islands and it is very hot here, so I am basically skipping cooking as much as possible. The whole middle of the week we will be in the islands too, for a wedding and staying with a friend who is a "hostess with the mostest" type, so I won't be cooking there either.

Yesterday we had a salad of baby romas, avocado, chickpeas, peppers, scallion and dressed with garlic/cilantro/lime/olive oil. Today we will probably have soba noodles with mushrooms and broccoli. In the evening we will go out.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-28-2013 - 7:25am

As I have posted in the past I do not make a weekly menu.

Last night we have country style ribs, baked potates, green beans, tomato slices and watermelon.

Tonight we are having chicken taco salad.

Possibilites for the rest of the week based on what we have on hand.

pulled pork (in freezer)

margarita pizza

fish

I have both black beans and pinto beans in the freezer so will do a bean dish one night.

Am  taking advantage of the fresh fruits and vegetables for sides. Tomatoes,  some out of our garden, green beans, corn on cob, red peppers,  watermelon, cantelope, blueberries, peaches  may pick up some okra this week,

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-29-2013 - 12:36pm

I'm totally intrigued by buffalo green chili stew!  What is in it?  

I'm making spaghetti and meatballs this evening for dinner.  The rest of the week -  I haven't put any thought into it yet.  

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-29-2013 - 1:08pm
Ground buffalo, cooked with onions and garlic. Then I added a bit of canola oil (because the buffalo is so lean) and browned some flour in it, added some fat free evap milk (just enough to make it creamy, but not soupy), and a bunch of roasted green chiles. Simmered until it was hot and thick. We served it over egg noddles, but i'm having the leftovers minus noodles for lunch today and it's great just plain. Oh and salt and pepper in there too.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-29-2013 - 1:16pm
Sav, I love green chilis. I bet that would be good with some beans added in, white ones maybe.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-29-2013 - 4:26pm
I love buffalo, and green chilis! That sounds really good. My husband makes green chili that we use for smothered burritos (it contains pork, tomatoes, chilis, and some other ingredients). It's a meal he grew up with living in Colorado, and I was introduced to when I moved there.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-02-2013 - 1:36pm
I wanted to post a salad we had at the wedding we went to day before yesterday, because it was so simple, but really good. It was roasted beets with parsley, coarsely crushed pistachios (UNsalted) and chunks of mild, soft goat cheese, dressed with balsamic and olive oil.