Mental health fluff

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Mental health fluff
106
Tue, 10-22-2013 - 11:12am

Since some questions were left unanswered on the other thread, here goes:

1. Do you have personal experience, yourself or someone close to you, of going through a mental illness, either severe like bipolar or schizophrenia, or less serious like anxiety or PPD that required treatment?

2. Do you consider it stigmatizing to have a mentally ill family member? IOW, if you have been in this situation, is it something you talk to others about or do you try to avoid the subject?

3. Do you consider mental illness to be a controversial subject, and if so, in what way?

Pages

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 9:13am

jamblessedthree wrote:
I agree with this.  I know when DD was dx diabetes we were careful about who we shared the news with b/c the last thing we wanted was pity.  My family was supportive and my sister asked my permission to share it with others she knew.  I'd think of mental illness the same way. </p>

This statement confuses me.  In the other thread, you insisted that mental illness was *not* like any other disease.  Yet here you say you'd approach mental illness the way you would a diabetes dx.  How does that fit with your earlier statements?

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 9:14am

rollmops2009 wrote:
"But I also think that those strong beliefs or reactions are to misinformation - or at least to things that aren't FACTS." ------- Again, not sure I agree. There are legitimate reasons other than cold, hard fact to hold a certain position - ethics, faith etc.

Let me clarify. I don't think that is always the case, just often/sometimes. 

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 9:52am

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>See, I'd even be careful to share a diagnosis like selective mutism with just anybody. Sharing with teachers/school was one thing but sharing it with family who would see her shut down around them? Uhm, That led to speculatons of what they wanted to think it meant.  She was very lucky, we surrounded ourselves with compassionate and educated company that helped her thrive including that of her wonderful psychologist.  Wow, I'm sorry I didn't know your DD exhibited similar symptoms, You used to place SM in a negative light, speculatng what you thought that would mean later on too - She's doing fine mops, thanks for your concerns. </p><p> </p>

I don't understand why you would share it with us but not your family.  Sharing that type of thing might go a long way in education and understanding for the family.  For the record, I don't remember anyone at anytime looking at it in a negative light here.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 9:56am

My family is educated and open, we could talk actually. My husband's mother/his family were the doubters, her assumption was that my DD was sick and that she would grow up without a voice, I let it go when she showed me a pic of somebody mentally retarded and said DD was just like that. That wasn't wisdom that was ignorance. 

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 9:58am
Explain the hard facts about mental illness mops. Where are others "misinformed" IYE? Genunine interest in where you are going here, Thanks.

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 10:06am

jamblessedthree wrote:
My family is educated and open, we could talk. My husband's mother/his family were the doubters, her assumption was that my DD was sick and that she would grow up without a voice. I let it go when she showed me a pic of somebody mentally retarded and said DD was just like that. That wasn't wisdom that was ignorance.

I had something like that when my youngest was a baby, there were issues with muscle tone and one of dh's realtives decided that it was the same as cerebral palsy, as her son has becasue he was just like my child as a baby.  She was well meaning, I think (or at least that's the way I choose to accept her words) trying to give me guidance for the upcoming Dr appointment.  It was a little scary hearing that, maybe becasue my child's condition was unknown at the moment, I don't know. 

PumpkinAngel

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 10:06am
"I don't think that is always the case, just often/sometimes." ------- OK, fair enough, that much we can certainly agree on.
Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 10:08am
"I let it go when she showed me a pic of somebody mentally retarded and said DD was just like that. That wasn't wisdom that was ignorance." ------- That is awful, and I agree that it is ignorant. I am sorry you had to deal with that and that it was not possible to make her understand. My whole argument has been that because so many people remain ignorant like that, it is important to talk about it and try to educate people.
Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 10:10am
"Explain the hard facts about mental illness mops. Where are others "misinformed" IYE?" --------- You just gave a good example of your MIL being horribly misinformed about mental illness, to the point that she thought a form of anxiety was retardation. She failed to understand that it was an illness that could be managed and even overcome.
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 10:32am

savcal2011 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">jamblessedthree</em> wrote:</div>I agree with this.  I know when DD was dx diabetes we were careful about who we shared the news with b/c the last thing we wanted was pity.  My family was supportive and my sister asked my permission to share it with others she knew.  I'd think of mental illness the same way. &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>This statement confuses me.  In the other thread, you insisted that mental illness was *not* like any other disease.  Yet here you say you'd approach mental illness the way you would a diabetes dx.  How does that fit with your earlier statements?</p>

You weren't reading the other thread I wrote in then.  I said the similarities stopped at "illness" and just like I wouldn't say cancer is like diabetes I won't say mental illness is like one of those either.  You are welcome to refute or object to that, what it is that confuses you or that you don't agree with...  Explain how others are misinformed..

 

 


 


Pages