Mental health fluff

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Mental health fluff
106
Tue, 10-22-2013 - 11:12am

Since some questions were left unanswered on the other thread, here goes:

1. Do you have personal experience, yourself or someone close to you, of going through a mental illness, either severe like bipolar or schizophrenia, or less serious like anxiety or PPD that required treatment?

2. Do you consider it stigmatizing to have a mentally ill family member? IOW, if you have been in this situation, is it something you talk to others about or do you try to avoid the subject?

3. Do you consider mental illness to be a controversial subject, and if so, in what way?

Pages

Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 11:59am

Then change the company you keep b/c you lay a lot of blame on others.  It's the, I'm always right pill I read a lot of here too. 

 


 


Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 12:04pm

savcal2011 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">jamblessedthree</em> wrote:</div>&lt;That starts with you.  There is no way you can change somebody else's mind until you change the way you look at things too.  I disagree and I think these rallies/marches and all do a wonderful job raising awareness, JMO. &lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>But if I'm already supportive, and educated, and open-minded ... MY mind doesn't need to change.  I think those things do raise some awareness ... and they definitely raise funds (some more than others ... don't get me started on "mail your yogurt lid in and we'll donate 1/10th of a penny!" crap.)   But I think one-on-one conversations, real-life experiences and personal connections raise a lot more awareness and effect a lot more change than a 5k walk does.    I participate in some of theose walks, etc - but I do it because my money is needed - not because the walk makes me more aware.</p>

I've partaken in a lot of the MS 150 bike rides....  Before knowing anybody affected by the illness.

 


 


Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 12:38pm
and I believe that is easier said than done b/c there are a lot of parents living in denial of said illnesses or that claim the problem only belongs to their child. ------ Right, which is another good reason to try to inform as much as possible.
Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 12:44pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>Then change the company you keep b/c you lay a lot of blame on others.  It's the, I'm always right pill I read a lot of here too. </p>

Is this to me? If so, can you give an example of where I've laid blame? 

I'm sure I have laid blame at times - because that's often appropriate. (if the neighbor kid runs over my mailbox, i'll blame him!)

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 12:45pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
I've partaken in a lot of the MS 150 bike rides....  Before knowing anybody affected by the illness.</p>

But you're not the in the demographic I"m speaking of - because you obviously aren't ignorant about MS.    If you were, you woldn't be doing the ride. 

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 10-23-2013 - 1:38pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>Then change the company you keep b/c you lay a lot of blame on others.  It's the, I'm always right pill I read a lot of here too. </p>

When someone makes an uneducated or ignorant statement about such issues, they are to blame...not the person that it's directed towards.  

PumpkinAngel

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Thu, 10-24-2013 - 3:37am
Jams, about those walks. I think they may be more enjoyable if you do not have the disease in question perhaps. The walks do raise money and that is certainly good. I have no squabble with that. Personally, however, it would be hard for me to participate in the breast cancer one. I went by when they had it this year (it is the local Komen "Race for the Cure"). Participants who have breast cancer are made to wear bright pink T-shirts that say "SURVIVOR" on them. I am not a "survivor." I am someone whose cancer, thankfully, is in remission, but I won't be a breast cancer SURVIVOR until there is an actual cure or until I die of something other than breast cancer. I hope this helps in explaining my POV.
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-22-2009
Thu, 10-24-2013 - 7:04am

rollmops2009 wrote:
Jams, about those walks. I think they may be more enjoyable if you do not have the disease in question perhaps. The walks do raise money and that is certainly good. I have no squabble with that. Personally, however, it would be hard for me to participate in the breast cancer one. I went by when they had it this year (it is the local Komen "Race for the Cure"). Participants who have breast cancer are made to wear bright pink T-shirts that say "SURVIVOR" on them. I am not a "survivor." I am someone whose cancer, thankfully, is in remission, but I won't be a breast cancer SURVIVOR until there is an actual cure or until I die of something other than breast cancer. I hope this helps in explaining my POV.

Like most anything else people have different feelings about that.  We are doing the R for the C next month, DD1 is team leader and will be walking.

The last one I was in I found very sad.  I was just a few weeks after DD2's best friend died from breast cancer.  Her widower was on our team.   As survivors go through the finish line they announce on the loud speaker,  "Susie, 3 year survivor"  etc.  So all morning he had to hear that.  In the same situation I could not do that, I felt so bad for him. 

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Thu, 10-24-2013 - 7:40am
Empty, that is certainly true. I was only trying to explain how I feel about it. I basically can't bring myself to wear a "Survivor" T-shirt. It feels completely bogus to me.
Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Thu, 10-24-2013 - 10:18am

Nobody is made to wear anything mops.  It's clear what you think of Pink Oct but frankly, I'm not sure where exactly your awareness lies. Please share what works for you in raising awareness for breast cancer, MI and the like.....  Curious.. While I believe there is a place for hardened statistics, somber news and real consequences of any illness there's also a place to celebrate and to support one another positively too, JMO and my experiences.  I am as familiar as you with metastisized cancers and other illness.

 


 


Pages