Mundane Monday

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-10-2011
Mundane Monday
548
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 9:22am

Welcome to a new week :)

1. Has spring "sprung" by you yet?

2. What are you wearing today?

3. Do you make a special menu for Easter (if you celebrate it)? 

Pages

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:19pm
"I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that for some people on this board, if someone died in the middle of the meal because the hostess served a life threatening ingredient for that guest,they would be outraged by the bad manners of the deceased for casting a pall upon the occasion." ------------------- It may also simply be that some belong to the tribe, which believes that global warming is a hoax (we had a LOT of snow this winter), believes that organic food is just a status symbol (a carrot is a carrot and if the pesticides weren't safe the gubmint would do something) and that allergies are just parental hysteria and a conspiracy to deprive children of PB sammiches at school (after all we didn't have allergies in the 70s)
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-22-2013
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:20pm

cruisingchick20111 wrote:
Sorry to hear that Littlemiss but what happens when her dd gets older and goes to friends homes and other places that might have these things? Should she expect everywhere she goes to accommodate her allergies? What happens when she gets a last minute invite to a friends for dinner and they already cooked with things she can't eat? Do you expect them to throw away the food and re-make it with items that she can eat?

Therefore your argument is that it is rude for a guest to expect not to be killed by the hostess?

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2010
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:21pm

cruisingchick20111 wrote:
Sorry to hear that Littlemiss but what happens when her dd gets older and goes to friends homes and other places that might have these things? Should she expect everywhere she goes to accommodate her allergies? What happens when she gets a last minute invite to a friends for dinner and they already cooked with things she can't eat? Do you expect them to throw away the food and re-make it with items that she can eat?

She already said what will happen when she is older.  Her dd has been educated to always ask if nuts are in a food she is served.  She is already young & knows this, so there is no reason to think she will forget it as she gets older.  She also said she brings food along to activities now.  Logic would tell me that she's going to keep doing that and Regina is a great mother who will also communicate with other parents when there are inviations etc.  I think these are silly questions, unless you are suggesting she should just start eating any food that is given her and get used to it becuase it could happen in the future?  

Are you suggesting that Regina's dd should just shut up & eat it--maybe she'll find out her allergies really aren't that bad!!!!!       AWESOME!!!!!!

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:22pm
Some things ARE holiday foods that people look forward to all year long. But most people are unselfish and mature enough forego those foods and have them another time - maybe even the very next day - if they posed a life-threatening risk to someone they loved. How selfish to you have to be to think, "My desire for walnuts in the brownies is worth risking the life of my five year old niece?" Honestly, I cannot understand that way of thinking.
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-20-2013
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:22pm

cruisingchick20111 wrote:
Sorry to hear that Littlemiss but what happens when her dd gets older and goes to friends homes and other places that might have these things? Should she expect everywhere she goes to accommodate her allergies? What happens when she gets a last minute invite to a friends for dinner and they already cooked with things she can't eat? Do you expect them to throw away the food and re-make it with items that she can eat?

Nope--I expect she'll do what she does now, and has done since her diagnosis, which is ask if the food is safe. If it isn't safe, she won't stay for dinner. 

What do you think, she should just eat whatever and consequences be damned? So that she doesn't inconvenience someone else? Isn't someone else's carelessness or thoughtlessness (which is what you're describing with how you think I should handle things) KILLING HER kind of inconvenient for her? Forgive me but I think my child's life is more important than food. And if that makes people uncomfortable, so be it. Again, I'd rather make someone uncomfortable than bury my kid. And I won't apologize for that. EVER.

On Wednesdays we wear pink.

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-22-2013
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:23pm

cruisingchick20111 wrote:
Some things are just "holiday" foods that people look forward to all year long. You are not familiar Lauren with big family holiday gatherings, correct? Say 20-50 people?

There are absolutely some foods that my family anticipates every year.  But I would think we are a sorry, inhumane and obscene group if we felt that our anticipation for a food should ever EVER override the safety of a family member who could die if exposed to that food.  How could we possibly live with ourselves if our selfish desire for a cookie (for example, as pecan crumbles are a big favorite in my family) endangered the life of a beloved child??

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-10-2011
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:24pm
Jam-most gatherings at holidays is "holiday" food and the same every year. There are just things that people look forward to. I would NEVER suggest to put ANYONE in danger but I would also expect the parent to be cautious about what the child can and can not eat and be aware that many things are family traditions.
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2010
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:24pm

cruisingchick20111 wrote:
Some things are just "holiday" foods that people look forward to all year long. You are not familiar Lauren with big family holiday gatherings, correct? Say 20-50 people?

And so what-- who cares?  Are you saying that adults in most families can't adjust, that it's really really so importnat to have your bowl of mixed nuts (or whatever dish it is that you would find more important than someone who is close enough to you to come eat a dinner with you).  I think you could put on your big girl pants and so that.  Again, if you didn't, we wouldn't be your guest.  

“Clearly," said Arthur,"you're an idiot- but you're our kind of idiot. Come on.” 
― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-10-2011
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:26pm
Can you give me some examples of things that you have come across at your inlaws that they used tree nuts (I know you said the salad which I am assuming almonds or walnuts?).
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 2:26pm
What kind of family of monsters would not forego a tradition to keep a kid alive, for crying out loud?

Pages