Paying for College

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Paying for College
265
Mon, 04-07-2014 - 3:18am

Since the subject has been debated here often enough, this article may be of interest to some:

"A lot of Internet ink has been spilled over how lazy and entitled Millennials are, but when it comes to paying for a college education, work ethic isn't the limiting factor. The economic cards are stacked such that today’s average college student, without support from financial aid and family resources, would need to complete 48 hours of minimum-wage work a week to pay for his courses—a feat that would require superhuman endurance, or maybe a time machine."

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/04/the-myth-of-working-your-way-through-college/359735/?google_editors_picks=true

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 2:54pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Bullcrap.  Everyone else knew what she meant. </span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Of course you did, of course. What else is new. BAER</span></strong></p>

It's not a big secret or anything and here's the thing...if I didn't know what she meant, I would have asked.  Which of course is different than not undertanding and making a negative judgement about someone's parenting. 

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 1:19pm

Bullcrap.  Everyone else knew what she meant. 

Of course you did, of course. What else is new. BAER

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 12:21pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>Your post was not very clear.</p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">No one with a child graduating from a European university </span>this year<span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"> knows whether the kid will get firsts or not yet.</span></strong></p>

Because the year isn't over...how is that not clear?

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 12:20pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>"<span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">. No one with a child graduating from a European university <strong>this year</strong> knows whether the kid will get firsts or not yet."</span></p><blockquote><div style="font-weight:bold"><em>blackandwhitemolly</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;Nope. I know people whose kids have gone to colleges abroad but did not graduate from them. Shrug.&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote><p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">And yet, knowing nothing of how colleges abroad work, you were ready to accuse Rollmops of being a negligent and distant parent for not knowing something that cannot possibly be known.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Ummm...THIS YEAR as Roll has indicated. Sounds like this is something new and even if I did know kids who graduated abroad, it might have been different then. </span></strong></p>

This year, because the results have already be given for the previous year, you know...since it's past and not future.

PumpkinAngel

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 12:12pm

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>Your post was not very clear.</p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">No one with a child graduating from a European university </span>this year<span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"> knows whether the kid will get firsts or not yet.</span></strong></p>

Bullcrap.  Everyone else knew what she meant. 

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 11:49am

Your post was not very clear.

No one with a child graduating from a European university this year knows whether the kid will get firsts or not yet.

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 11:47am
"THIS YEAR as Roll has indicated. Sounds like this is something new " ------------ No, it is always this way. The point is that you only know once the year is fully finished.
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 11:45am

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>"<span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">. No one with a child graduating from a European university <strong>this year</strong> knows whether the kid will get firsts or not yet."</span></p><blockquote><div style="font-weight:bold"><em>blackandwhitemolly</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;Nope. I know people whose kids have gone to colleges abroad but did not graduate from them. Shrug.&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote><p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">And yet, knowing nothing of how colleges abroad work, you were ready to accuse Rollmops of being a negligent and distant parent for not knowing something that cannot possibly be known.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Ummm...THIS YEAR as Roll has indicated. Sounds like this is something new and even if I did know kids who graduated abroad, it might have been different then. </span></strong></p>
  Nope, nothing new.  Most European universities work this way and have done so since about the time that the University of Paris was chartered in 1200.

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 11:41am

". No one with a child graduating from a European university this year knows whether the kid will get firsts or not yet."

blackandwhitemolly wrote:
<p>Nope. I know people whose kids have gone to colleges abroad but did not graduate from them. Shrug.</p>

And yet, knowing nothing of how colleges abroad work, you were ready to accuse Rollmops of being a negligent and distant parent for not knowing something that cannot possibly be known.

Ummm...THIS YEAR as Roll has indicated. Sounds like this is something new and even if I did know kids who graduated abroad, it might have been different then. 

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Fri, 04-18-2014 - 11:36am

You lost me when you concluded that knowing where your kid stood meant some kind of micro-managing or that you don't interrogate a kid for that information.

Example:

Mother: How did you do this semester, are you happy with it?

Kid: I did OK, I am happy with XYZ paper, because I really worked hard on it, although I only got a B.

Then imagine some more general info about the grades/work. At the end of it, I have no idea what the average is, and by the next semester, I have most surely forgotten what the grades were the previous one. So, four years later, I really have no idea what her average is, except I know that it is quite good and she has a chance of making honors.

To really know, I would have to ask for transcripts or ask for specific grades and weight, then keep an excel sheet or something. I would consider that micro-managing. It is not my style, and besides I really have better things to do.


Pages