Picturing Hunger in America

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-31-2011
Picturing Hunger in America
438
Sat, 02-22-2014 - 9:08am

Warning: these images may shatter your firmly-formed stereotypical ideas about those who struggle in America.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/breaking-stereotypes-women-use-cameras-aim-at-hunger/

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:31am

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">bordwithyou</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;&lt;blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"&gt;&lt;div class="quote-author"&gt;&lt;em class="placeholder"&gt;jamblessedthree&lt;/em&gt; wrote:&lt;/div&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"&amp;gt;&amp;lt;div class="quote-author"&amp;gt;&amp;lt;em class="placeholder"&amp;gt;bordwithyou&amp;lt;/em&amp;gt; wrote:&amp;lt;/div&amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;p&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;div class="quote-author"&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;em class="placeholder"&amp;amp;gt;jamblessedthree&amp;amp;lt;/em&amp;amp;gt; wrote:&amp;amp;lt;/div&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;amp;lt;p&amp;amp;amp;gt;Says a typesetter without that college education.  But I get your point, 90,000 is a lot of debt.  Poverty can be/and is a result of financial choices you make too. &amp;amp;amp;lt;/p&amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/blockquote&amp;amp;gt;.  Would she be better off as a typesetter with an MA and 90K in student debt?  I am all in favor of people getting as much education as they can or want to get - but not at that cost.&amp;amp;lt;/p&amp;amp;gt;&amp;lt;/blockquote&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;So, what's your point..  Is the amount of debt and lack of income a factor to real poverty?  You call her choices not smart, I call poverty a culture for others who take from the system and refuse the responsibility that should come from that.  At least she is trying to better herself and I give her credit for that.....&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;. Generational poverty can be akin to a "culture," and it's hard to break out of your own experiences and assumptions about how the world works.  It's why you are advocating investment strategies that were valid in 1929 which are no longer valid.  It is true there are many people who live day to day and are drpendent on the system and can't seem to break the cycle.  how do we go about trying to get more people to break the cycle?  I dont think going 90K in debt to get a degree in a field that is unlikely to repay the investment is a solution.&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>I can't keep up bord.  You're now overlapping investments to this thread, Ayi Lol.  There are a lot of old fashioned principles and theories that still exist today.  Just because you don't believe in them or honor htem does not make them less credible.  You surprise me a lot of the time and I can't believe you're as old as you are and don't know what old school would mean or where it would come from, I mean that's where old money comes from too, that is if you have it. </p>
. I understand about old money and conservative investment principles.  I do not understand clinging to investment strategies that assume the FDIC is not in place.  That is not "Old School."  That is just dumb.

Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:35am

ETA to bord, You missed my point that the woman has direction. Her family is on an assistance program right now but she is/will get a job given her spirit and passion for the field she has studied. I have no problem with my taxes helping her out, Perhaps others can learn from that.  Or does that smell of unicorns and rainbows too much? 

 

 

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:36am

jamblessedthree wrote:
ETA to bord, You missed my point that the woman has direction. Her family is on an assistance program right now and she is/will get a job given her spirit and passion for the field she has studied. I have no problem with my taxes helping her out, Perhaps others can learn from that.
.  I have no problem with my taxes helping out anyone who had suffered in this economy. I'm glad safety net programs are in place and I wish they were broader and more effective.

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:38am

"Jambles has demonstrated time and again that she holds all I've ever done in service for my country in the deepest contempt and disdain." 

Goodness me, the klassiness never ends around here.

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:41am

"Her family is on an assistance program right now but she is/will get a job given her spirit and passion for the field she has studied. I have no problem with my taxes helping her out,"

Great and good for you. But what do you see as a solution for people like her, of which there are many?

Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:49am

bordwithyou wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">jamblessedthree</em> wrote:</div>ETA to bord, You missed my point that the woman has direction. Her family is on an assistance program right now and she is/will get a job given her spirit and passion for the field she has studied. I have no problem with my taxes helping her out, Perhaps others can learn from that.</blockquote>.  I have no problem with my taxes helping out anyone who had suffered in this economy. I'm glad safety net programs are in place and I wish they were broader and more effective.</p>

Ok, good because you were awful critical of her debt.  I bet it's more common than you think...

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:52am

"Unfortunately, not everyone on welfare and food stamps are there because they feel on bad times."

Don't you think that your experiences with your MIL color your views on this? Consider that she is in that 2% Chestnut mentioned.

Assumptions that I only have experiences with my MIL. Why is that?

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:52am

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p>ETA to bord, You missed my point that the woman has direction. Her family is on an assistance program right now but she is/will get a job given her spirit and passion for the field she has studied. I have no problem with my taxes helping her out, Perhaps others can learn from that.  Or does that smell of unicorns and rainbows too much? </p>

and how is that different than the people in the story marla shared? 

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-22-2013
Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:53am
    The stereotype is that poverty is because you fall on hard times, Poverty is also a culture and it's an excuse.
    Exactly. Some people just never learn from their mistakes and it is easier to complain than to actually do something about it.
    Avatar for rollmops2009
    iVillage Member
    Registered: 02-24-2009
    Sun, 02-23-2014 - 8:53am
    "Assumptions that I only have experiences with my MIL." ------- No, I did not assume that, but she is particularly colorful in this regard.

    Pages