Sexy Underwear for Teens

Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
Sexy Underwear for Teens
494
Tue, 04-02-2013 - 3:44pm

I only have boys, so while I have an opinion on this, wanted to see how the moms of teen girls feel about store's such as Victoria's Secret carrying lines of sexy underwear that are for college aged girls, but appeal to a teen audience.  They were recently targeted by moms for their "Bright Young Things" spring break line.  From Time.com: 

But should anyone be walking around in undies that declare “Dare You,” “Call Me” or “Feeling Lucky?” like some of the missives printed on the manufacturer’s spring-break inventory? That’s certainly a matter of personal taste — for adults. But for young girls, “This speaks to the idea that girls have a fantasy of being raped, that women on some level are asking for it,” says Dana Udall-Weiner, a Santa Fe, N.M., psychologist who works with girls on body image.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/03/29/bright-young-things-victorias-secrets-line-under-fire/#ixzz2PKwj8Dqz

Would you let your teen wear suggestive underwear?  Do you think that teen girls have a right to feel confident and sexy, or are they getting the wrong message from retailers?

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-14-2011
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:52pm
"Yeah, and then she mentioned MY husband." ----- Actually she said that she didn't want to "go there" in regards to your husband. YOU are the one that brought your husband into the debate, and are now trying to twist it. You can become a contortionist, it won't change the FACT that YOU brought your husband in, not anyone else.
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:51pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p>What does knowing my dh as a teen, PKA,  have to do with him sexting which you clearly stated? </p>

Um, that was the context of the debate, you saying how you knew all teenage boys should respond to sexting and would be worried if they responded in the way that bord posted, which was totally appropriate.  You said that you knew all about teenage boys, their hormones and how they should react to sexting by using your dh as an example.  I don't know why you did what you did, but I have edited my comments saying that I don't really want to discuss this subject in depth because...I really don't want to discuss this subject anymore.

Frankly I'm appalled by your comments on the entire subject of sexting and that you brought your dh into the discussion.  I think you need to read the posts, you seem to have large gaps in factual knowledge of the discussion.




PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:51pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I said that my son in this post to Thardy : "Welcome to high school in the 21st century. We aren't the kind of people to try to ruin a young girl's life over a lapse in judgment. Usually all it takes is for the boy to tell the girl that he's deleted the picture and that he's disappointed in her for sending it."</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Missed that and if I DID see it, I would have NEVER guessed you were speaking of your son. That was not very clear.</span></strong></p>

Well, since it was in a conversation where Thardy suggested that we should have called the police and reported the girls who sexted my son, I kind of thought it was clear that we were speaking of his response.

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:50pm
"Friggemall Industries" ------ LOL, "frigge" is Old Norse for strumpet basically.
Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:48pm
Here, Let me drag my 15 YO in... You'd never know the difference.

 


 


iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:47pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">If you read my comments you might note that I said I wasn't going to discuss it, depsite the fact that you keep claiming that "all" teenage boys should enjoy sexting and you would be "worried" if they didn't.  We keep saying that people shouldn' enjoy sexting, you are the one who is worried that the teenage boys are not.</p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">But hey...way to take the comment of context, again.  </p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><strong>YOU just took that out of context. I NEVER ONCE said that I was worried that the teenage boys were not sexting. I would NEVER approve of sexting either by a male or female and I am QUITE PLEASED that my teen thinks anyone that does that is STUPID. I said I was surprised of the reaction that he would be appalled and scared.</strong></p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><strong>There was NO reason to throw in my dh who is an ADULT, not a 17 yr. old boy into the discussion. That was quite personal so I would appreciate it if you take it down. </strong></p>

Nope, you said you would be worried about his reaction to receving a sext. That "all" teenage boys were hormones and thought of sex all the time and he wouldn't like looking at half naked teen.  All the while lol'ing all over the place.  The context is clear and really appalling to be lol over the issue in any way.  I think the proper response of a teenage boy is to be appalled and scared, what other response...other than your loling and stating that teenage boys think of sex all the time is correct?  Something I have asked numerous times, none of which you answered.

And I didn't bring your dh into this discussion, you did.  You used him as an example of how you know what teenage boys are like, I think you even lol'ed all over the comment as well.  I said I wasn't going there, despite that fact that YOU brought him into this discussion, not me.  I still don't want to talk about why you brought him into the discussion.  Yep, I just checked you lol'ed as you brought him into the discussion.

<<<edited out the orignal comment>

I can't edit your comments, sorry.

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:47pm

springfever2013 wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Compared to the type of guys the rest of us are married to and trying to raise.</span></p><p style="text-align:left"><strong><span style="font-size:x-small"><span>Please explain the differences since you know so much......</span></span></strong></p>

I am not sure that I can explain the difference between "high expectations" and "low expectations," "vulgar" and "not vulgar" and "classy" and "not classy" to you.  You've been struggling all day to understand that trashy come-on lines on underpants is something other than the distinction between "cute/trendy" and "granny pants."  I'm not sure we're ready for more abstract distinctions.

Avatar for jamblessedthree
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-23-2001
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:47pm
You are reading things that aren't there cantbewrong, I am a pretty conservative shopper even when I take my kids along, I do realize however that when they get their jobs and start spending their own $$ my say so in what they buy will certainly become littler, What is your problem with that? And at what point do your own children know that decisions become their own to make too? I am pretty fortunate too, My own kids taste in clothes is nice. They do have some leopard print undies but I won't freak if, with their own money, they chose to buy undies with the word lucky on them one of these years, There is no basis to assume that will lead to some promiscuous behavior, In fact those thoughts and ideas come from names you say you agree with so please do match the correct posts to the correct posters, Thanks.

 

 

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:46pm

lauren1063 wrote:
<p style="text-align:left; font-size:13px"><strong>Upset maybe that maybe the girl he knows would do that but appalled and a little scared? Come on.</strong></p><p style="text-align:left; font-size:13px">Even if he couldn't find it in him to be scared and appalled on a moral level, you'd think that the possible repercussions if he'd been found with the picture on his phone would be enough to freak him out quite a bit.</p>

Exactly, the consquences could be huge and there is nothing funny about this situation, not at all.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 04-03-2013 - 3:45pm

lifespeachy wrote:
Spice Girl, you ally do need calm down. Again, it was YOU who mentioned your husband..nobody e. I am not even sure what your all worked up about.

I was a bit surprised by the connection that was made....but I edited the comment but I can't edit the first comment since it wasn't mine and I of course can't edit the repeat comments that are not mine.

PumpkinAngel

Pages