Terrifying Tuesday

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Terrifying Tuesday
117
Tue, 05-07-2013 - 2:50pm

1. Do you like horror movies? Do they scare you?

2. Heels or flats? (or other)

3. Brag of the day-Newsweek ranks the 2 high schools in my district in the top 5 percent of American high schoolsLaughing

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-07-2003
Tue, 05-07-2013 - 9:07pm

chestnuthooligan wrote:
<p>The methodology is suspect, and it requires administrators to participate in the pull poll to provide information. My son's school is also high on this "list". Other than the music, art and sports programs, it is not a very good high school, but the fact that it works so much in the arts separates it a bit from the rest, I guess.</p><p>But if it makes you feel good...Go for it. If this is the top 5%, I would hate to see the rest of the 95%, it doesn't bode well for the future of public education.</p>

Yeah, definitely not a super reliable ranking.

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-07-2003
Tue, 05-07-2013 - 9:26pm

This is much more reliable. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools http://www.usnews.com/education/high-schools/articles/2013/04/22/how-us-news-calculated-the-2013-best-high-schools-rankings

Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 3:38am
1. no and no. 2. Both.
Avatar for rollmops2009
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2009
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 8:56am
"This is much more reliable." ----------- Interesting difference. The HS my dh graduated from has a college readiness index (according to the listing you posted) of over 90, whereas the ones "by" Springy have indices around 30. Even Yonkers HS scores an 80 for college readiness.
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 9:02am
These are some odd criteria; for instance it seems a school would be "punished" in the rankings if it recognized that not everyone is (or should be) college bound and had really excellent vocational programs in place that turned out competent plumbers, welder a, electricians, auto mechanics, and the like.
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 9:41am

"This is much more reliable." ----------- Interesting difference. The HS my dh graduated from has a college readiness index (according to the listing you posted) of over 90, whereas the ones "by" Springy have indices around 30. Even Yonkers HS scores an 80 for college readiness.

Public School?

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2013
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 9:45am

This is much more reliable. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools http://www.usnews.com/education/high-schools/articles/2013/04/22/how-us-news-calculated-the-2013-best-high-schools-rankings

Somewhat similiar for this list. Is your high school on that other list? 

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 9:50am

I didn't have time yesterday so answering Tuesday on Wednesday...

1. Do you like horror movies? Do they scare you?

Yes and sometimes, if they are good.  Have you seen Cabin in the Woods? 

2. Heels or flats? (or other)

Flats, what is the other choice?

3. Brag of the day-Newsweek ranks the 2 high schools in my district in the top 5 percent of American high schools

Good for you, congrats!  We have some local schools on the list as well, they would not be schools of choice for my kids for various reasons.  My brag of yesterday was a little personal, so I posted it elswewhere, sorry.  :)

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 9:57am

<<1. Do you like horror movies? Do they scare you? -- I love scary movies.  They don't scare me.  I like the suspensful supernatural ones better than the gory/bloody, but I pretty much like them all.  The Kids and I watched Sinister and The Cabin in The Woods this weekend.  Dh was out of town - he doesn't like horror movies very much.>>

Cabin in the woods is a great movie.  I've seen it a couple of times now, it gets better each time.


PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 05-08-2013 - 9:57am

springfever2013 wrote:
<p>Congrats to all the kids accomplishments!!! :)</p>

Agreed!

PumpkinAngel

Pages