Two more weeks

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-22-2009
Two more weeks
239
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 5:59am

Do you decorate outside?

Are you hosting or going somewhere this year?

Big group or small one?

How is shopping going?

Pages

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:07pm

turrrkeeyday wrote:
<p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">First of all, how was this to Bord's benefit????</p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><strong>Seriously? You claim to be a financial wizard. You can figure it out. </strong></p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"></p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">And second of all, have you seen the Friends episode where Phoebe tries to find a *truly charitable act*? One in which the giver receives NOTHING (not even a good feeling) in return?  Hilarious. </p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><strong>No</strong></p>

She PAYS $25 and recieves a deduction on her taxes of about $5 .... one doesn't have to be a financial whiz to see there's not a financial gain there.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-11-2013
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:08pm

I think you are assuming that one is writing off their donations on their tax return and are you shocked or something that some people give to charitable organizations?

So she is NOT writing off the donation? She just decided to donate at the end of the year foooooor.........what reason?

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:08pm

turrrkeeyday wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I didn't make a donation to a total stranger's child, I made a donation to a research foundation.   And the fact that you don't understand altruism doesn't surprise me a bit, Turkey.  Not one single solitary bit.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">BECAUSE of Jam's dd, correct? How many times have you donated to this particular charity? And YES, I understand altruism. WHEN it is done for the GOOD of OTHERS, NOT yourself.</span></strong></p><p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><br /></span></p>

I have donated to that cause before, multiple times.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:08pm

turrrkeeyday wrote:
<p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">First of all, how was this to Bord's benefit????</p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><strong>Seriously? You claim to be a financial wizard. You can figure it out. </strong></p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"></p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">And second of all, have you seen the Friends episode where Phoebe tries to find a *truly charitable act*? One in which the giver receives NOTHING (not even a good feeling) in return?  Hilarious. </p><p style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"><strong>No</strong></p>

SavCal's good, but she's not good at making things up out of thin air.  

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:10pm

turrrkeeyday wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">If you can show any way this particular donation is financially benefitting me, other than the amusement I am getting from it becoming some kind of cause celebre, please let me know.  It was a spur of the moment donation; I made donations that night on behalf of three children whom I know to be affected by the disease.  I must say the other parents were nicer about it.  Nobody else felt compelled to stir up drama and try to get attention on a bulletin board.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Did you personally KNOW these other three children?</span></strong></p>

I gave to a children's charity this year, as I have every year and I don't know anyone who has this particular disease personally.  

PumpkinAngel

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-08-2009
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:10pm

turrrkeeyday wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">I think you are assuming that one is writing off their donations on their tax return and are you shocked or something that some people give to charitable organizations?</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">So she is NOT writing off the donation? She just decided to donate at the end of the year foooooor.........what reason?</span></strong></p>

I will write off the donation if I can.  But writing off the donation does not mean I come out ahead.   If I can write it off, I will save something between 4.50 and 7.00 on taxes.  That is nice, but it still cost me way more than that to make the donation.  I am not benefitting financially by making a small donation.  It is the equivalent of dropping some cash into the Salvation Army bucket.  A spur of the moment thing to do that decent people see as a nice thing to do.  End of story.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:11pm

savcal2011 wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">turrrkeeyday</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&gt;I didn't make a donation to a total stranger's child, I made a donation to a research foundation.   And the fact that you don't understand altruism doesn't surprise me a bit, Turkey.  Not one single solitary bit.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;strong&gt;&lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&gt;BECAUSE of Jam's dd, correct? How many times have you donated to this particular charity? And YES, I understand altruism. WHEN it is done for the GOOD of OTHERS, NOT yourself.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/strong&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>First of all, how was this to Bord's benefit????</p><p>And second of all, have you seen the Friends episode where Phoebe tries to find a *truly charitable act*? One in which the giver receives NOTHING (not even a good feeling) in return?  Hilarious.  </p>

I was thinking of that very think while listening to the gobble gobble!

PumpkinAngel

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:11pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
Savcal.. How is "Friends" related to this? On another tangent there? Lol, And please not your input about financial benefits again..... Please.

The Friends episode is appropos.  It is "The One Where Phoebe Hates PBS". The plot summary, from imdb.com --

"Almost caught once again, Chandler arrives with champagne for Monica, but instead finds the whole gang in her apartment so he says he is celebrating that his office just got wrinkle free fax paper. Joey thinks he has been hired as host for a PBS telethon, but is actually just one of many phone operators on screen. Phoebe says she hates PBS because it reminds her of the miserable days when her mother watched Sesame Street on it before committing suicide and even bitches Joeys telethon is selfishness masquerading as a good deed. When he retorts there is no such thing as a truly selfless good deed, she promises to prove him wrong. Ross tries to make up with Emily by phone and when she asks him to move to London he says no as he would be away from Ben. Emily agrees to move to New York but on the condition he won't see Rachel any more. The others consider her request to be unreasonable and after struggling to decide Ross becomes desperate enough to leave the decision to a Magic 8 ball which proves uncooperative. RacMonica has made up a fictional waiter as her secret boyfriend after Rachel walked in on her as she was actually waiting for Chandler. Rachel tells Chandler that Monica said her waiter boyfriend was 'the best sex she ever had' which Chandler enjoys enormously and milks for all it is worth. However Monica is cranky enough to cut him dry for the. Not knowing about the specifics of the condition, Rachel incites Ross to do whatever Emily wants to get her over to New York. "

The bolded portion is what makes it relevant to this debate.

And you know what? I'll talk financial benefits anytime I want. I don't need your permission.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-27-1998
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:11pm

jamblessedthree wrote:
<p><blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"><div class="quote-author"><em class="placeholder">bordwithyou</em> wrote:</div>&lt;p&gt;&lt;blockquote class="quote-msg quote-nest-1 odd"&gt;&lt;div class="quote-author"&gt;&lt;em class="placeholder"&gt;turrrkeeyday&lt;/em&gt; wrote:&lt;/div&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&amp;gt;I didn't make a donation to a total stranger's child, I made a donation to a research foundation.   And the fact that you don't understand altruism doesn't surprise me a bit, Turkey.  Not one single solitary bit.&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;strong&amp;gt;&amp;lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&amp;gt;BECAUSE of Jam's dd, correct? How many times have you donated to this particular charity? And YES, I understand altruism. WHEN it is done for the GOOD of OTHERS, NOT yourself.&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/strong&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;lt;span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left"&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If you can show any way this particular donation is financially benefitting me, other than the amusement I am getting from it becoming some kind of cause celebre, please let me know.  It was a spur of the moment donation; I made donations that night on behalf of three children whom I know to be affected by the disease.  I must say the other parents were nicer about it.  Nobody else felt compelled to stir up drama and try to get attention on a bulletin board.&lt;/p&gt;</blockquote></p><p>You're full of drama for playing, and glad to know your reality does mesh with jdrf's, the donation WAS 12/07. </p><p>Is there a cause dear to you that I can return the courtesy of, stranger? </p>

You want more attention over this?  Curious, did you do this to all of your donees?

PumpkinAngel

Avatar for savcal2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-06-2010
Wed, 12-11-2013 - 2:12pm

turrrkeeyday wrote:
<p><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">Other two children.  One of them I do know the child.  The other I only know the parent.  I might not know Jambles personally, but we've been "acquainted" online for over a decade.  She is hardly a "total stranger."  I know her well enough to ask after her husband (see below) when he was in the car wreck; it's just the polite thing to do.</span></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">You know the parents so obviously you know the children AND their names. You had to go and FIND Jam's child's name, no? </span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="font-size:13px; text-align:left">And did Jam ever answer that thread (as I know which one you are talking about and saw it the day you put it up)?</span></strong></p>

Again, evidence of people not knowing how FB works.

"I don’t mind a banshee, that’s fine. 2 banshees? I HATE you. I actually wish bad things upon you." -- Day[9] Daily #459 P1

Pages