Why on earth is a 100 year old man driving a car?

iVillage Member
Why on earth is a 100 year old man driving a car?
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 4:59pm

I just heard about a man who is 101 and drove into a bunch of people outside a school, sending 11 of them to the hospital.  

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/29/13554865-driver-claiming-hes-101-hits-pedestrians-outside-los-angeles-school?lite

I'm horrified that this man still had a license, and that his children didn't try to take his driving privileges away years ago.  Even his daughter in the article said that she's been wanting to take it away for the past year, but did they do anything about it? She then has the nerve to say that she thinks this will be a wake up call...   I realize that she only has so much legal ground, but try explaining it to the children that got hurt.   

I'm not in her shoes yet, but do have parents in their late 70s and not looking forward to telling my dad that he needs to stop driving.  At some point, though, you need to need to think of the rest of the public.   I think that after a certain age you should have to renew it every year, and that there also needs to be an age limit. 

Chelsea

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-01-2012 - 10:29am
In my state, if you are over seventy, you have to re-take the driver's test if you ate involved in an accident, even of it is not your fault. You also have to renew your license every three years instead of every five years. And if you have had any moving violation tickets, you have to take the driving test when you renew. While age alone should not disqualify you from driving, it is true that people typically lose response time as well as visual and auditory acuity as they age, so frequent re-testing makes sense.
iVillage Member
Re: Why on earth is a 100 year old man driving a car?
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 10:02am
I agree that re-testing should be required at some point, but I think 70 is pretty arbitrary. As the parent of a teen driver, I'd rather drive with my 90-yr-old mother (yep, she's still driving) than with a brand-new teen driver with perfect reflexes but no experience.:smileywink: Maybe a better approach would be to require all drivers to re-test every 10 years or so. There are people younger (and older) than 70 who probably shouldn't be driving. Although it's a conversation we have periodically, I don't worry with my mom because she knows her limits (she gave up highway and heavy traffic driving years ago), and her vision and health are good, better than a lot of 70-year-olds. Maybe there should be restricted types of drivers' licenses for some older people (e.g., no driving at night or no highway driving). Laws requiring testing or limiting driving circumstances would help adults who "let" their parents keep driving (it really isn't that easy to stop a competent adult from driving even if you want to).
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 12:29pm
One of our family friends just turned in his pilot's license last year at the age of 90! He also had an artificial knee put in this summer so he can keep skiing. He is an optimist.
iVillage Member

When an elderly person commits a crime, even a horrible one, our society tends to look the other way.  I am not sure why.

Folks, you may love your parents or grandparents, but they are NOT going to get off easy if they plow their car and hit my child.