Dorm dwellers urged to get shots
Find a Conversation
|Mon, 08-18-2003 - 6:53pm|
Ryan Hockensmith says he was just a typical college student in 1999 -- young, athletic, oblivious to the frailty of life and pretty much blending in with Penn State's 40,000 other students.
But after he got hit with a bacterial illness he had had little reason to think about -- meningococcal disease -- he nearly died, and his case became frighteningly well-known on Penn State and other college campuses.
As Hockensmith, now 25, prepares for his fourth amputation this fall, he urges college students not to fear the prick of a needle and a potentially life-saving vaccine.