Flu Kills 105 Children

iVillage Member
Flu Kills 105 Children
Fri, 03-22-2013 - 4:34pm

From the Today Show: 

Influenza has killed 105 children this year, federal officials reported on Friday, and almost none of them had been vaccinated against the virus.

That’s triple the number who died during last year’s flu season. But flu deaths fluctuate a lot and it’s not anywhere near the worst season for child deaths, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says in its weekly report on influenza.

Read more at: http://www.today.com/id/51290370/ns/today-today_health/t/flu-kills-children-most-not-vaccinated-cdc-says/#.UUyjdhd6uf4

They go on to say that of the children that died, 60% of them were at a higher risk for developing complications from the flu. The article also states that the flu vaccine worked better in children this year versus the elderly.  

Any thoughts on these numbers?

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-26-2013 - 1:55pm

That's sad, it's 105 children too many :( I'd rather deal with any risks of the flu shot and still have my child with me. I'm not meaning to be callous, but am wondering what the parents reasons are for not getting the flu vaccine. Was it just something they neglected to do, or did their research and decided it was for their family?

Chelsea

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open."