Flu Season 2013

iVillage Member
Flu Season 2013
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 2:47pm

It sounds like the 2013 flu season is off and running.  Have you or your kids been vaccinated?  What caused you to make that decision?

So far, more than 15,000 cases have been reported, with more than 2,000 hospitalizations last week alone.

The number of unreported cases is likely at least three or four times that amount. There is widespread activity in 41 states, and18 children have died. Most of the severe cases are due to secondary complications (the flu weakens your immune response) including pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/07/what-need-to-know-about-flu-this-year/#ixzz2HJxGAKHT

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-30-2013 - 5:47pm

That's wonderful.  It's very interesting that your family doesn't think highly of milk whereas I see organic skim milk as the holy grail ~ lots of protein, no fat, vitamins added.  I agree lots of water is important.

Do you know of any chemicals in the flu shot that are unhealthy?  I know they've been successful in decreasing preservatives and only trace amounts of thimerosal and formaldehyde (preservatives).  (The flu spray doesn't have thimerosal.)

Community Leader
Tue, 01-15-2013 - 2:06pm
The two biggest things we've changed is we have severly cut back on gluten based products, and I suppose the second is along the same lines, we've cut out as much extra added sugar out of our diets and cut out as much processed foods as is feasible, I make as much as I can fresh, we increased our fresh veggies and fruits and we added in a good probiotic to the kids' diet to help their "gut health". I've also cut out most drinks other than water and the occasion glass of orange juice or apple juice. The little girls both drink milk at school on occasion, but for the most part, unless I use it in baking, we don't drink milk. I also make sure they get outside often and spent a ton of time outside this summer in the sun, Vitamin D has been proven over and over to help with overall health.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-09-2013 - 3:33pm
That's awesome Tracy! What changes have you made that have helped you to stay healthy? It only makes sense that if you maintain a healthy body that it will be stronger when it comes to fighting off illnesses.

Community Leader
Tue, 01-08-2013 - 12:42pm

No, no one in our family is vaccinated for the flu, have never been and no, we have never gotten the flu.  We made the choice based on the chemicals used in the vaccines that we do not want added to our bodies.  We take care of ourselves and eat well and are comfortable with our choice.  No one in the family has been sick at all this year or the last year or two since we changed our eating and health habits, the occasional cold, but that's it.

Photobucket