Infant Dies After Vaccination
Find a Conversation
|Fri, 05-16-2008 - 4:25pm|
Infant dies after vaccination
TIRUCHI: A 45-day-old infant is reported to have died 12 hours after being given a Diphtheria-Pertussis-Tetanus (DPT) vaccination shot at Poosaripatti near Manaparrai here on Wednesday.
According to sources, the baby developed fever after being administered the vaccine at the Primary Health Centre at Aniyapur. His parents, Pazhanisamy and Vijaya, reportedly gave the baby paracetamol tablets as prescribed by the doctor. The temperature came down initially, but shot up later again and the baby died at 9 p.m.
Deputy Director of Public Health Services V. Veerapandiyan ruled out the possibility of allergic reaction due to immunisation. P.R. Prabhu Elango, head, Department of Paediatrics, and K.A.P. Viswanathan of Government Medical College, Tiruchi, who examined the body, suspected asphyxiation during feeding. Doctors are awaiting the result of the post-mortem.