Need some guidance on vax scheduling!

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Need some guidance on vax scheduling!
Wed, 07-16-2003 - 4:53pm
I'm new here and recently had healthy baby boy #4 on May 13th! This time around though I'm so hesitant to blindly vaccinate my son, plus there seems to be so many more shots than with my last baby 5 yrs ago. I'm really confused and need some guidance.

Suggested links to get me started?

And for those of you who selectively vaccinate, when did you start doing them, how did you come up with a vaccination schedule, what ones did you choose and why?

I told my Dr. I want to vaccinate, but on a slower pace and he said that was fine. But I want to come up with a plan so I can be confident when sharing it with my Dr.



Avatar for keeley_14383
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Thu, 07-17-2003 - 4:09pm
Congrats Maria and welcome to the board! Wow, four little boys. I have three, and they sure keep me busy.

Here is a response I wrote to a very similar question recently on Vaccine Support -- I don't think I'm supposed to link there, so I'll copy and paste my reply here. That should be okay I hope, since it is my own post. This is surely a very complicated and controversial topic, so just be sure when you research you read from valid sources (such as medical journal articles, not Joe Schmoe's anti-vaccination website!)


Hi -- here are my suggestions. I always recommend contacting your state's health department and seeing which of the vaccine-preventable diseases have been reported in your area. That can help you see what you are risking by delaying/avoiding the vaccines. They can also give you the state law regarding vaccination exemptions/school (so you know which vaccines your child will need for school in your state, or whether you can pick/choose the vaccines you want). Personally I was concerned about Pertussis, so I gave my baby DTaP on schedule. I decided to skip Hib and Prevnar, but I'll tell you my Pediatrician was concerned about Hib. I do consider his advice/reasoning when making my decisions. (If my son was not breastfed and/or was in daycare, I would definitely give Hib). I'm giving the other vaccines on a delayed schedule. My 9-month old has had 3 DTaPs and 1 Polio so far. He will get MMR at age 2, the Hep B series and Varicella before school (both required in my state).

One more bit of advice -- my 4 year-old did not receive any vaccines before he turned four. It was VERY hard for him to catch up. He had to go every month or so for two more shots. It is easier on the kids when they don't have that "anticipation" fear, IMO. He was very upset for every shots visit. Too many vaccines too late is hard!

Best of luck to you and to all the moms on your board --



Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Avatar for lacysmama
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Sat, 07-19-2003 - 5:18pm

Hi! First congrats on your new baby. I just had my third a few weeks ago and have stopped blindly following my doctor on this issue. This is what I have come up with.

Let me start by saying that I am less concerned with the immediate side effects of vaccination than I am of the unknown long-term effects on the immune system and nervous system. So you know where I am coming from. Also, my kids are homeschooled and I breastfeed so I feel they are less at risk of catching many of these diseases. If I didn't breastfeed and put my kids in daycare, I would probably fully vaccinate.

DTaP: First of all diptheria doesn't concern me much, but tetnus and pertussis do. However, I am about equally scared of the pertussis vax. I am leaning toward not giving the P, and starting DT at about age 2 when they really start playing outside and are more at risk.

Polio: Because there has not been a case of wild polio in the US since 1979, I don't feel this vaccine is needed unless we leave the country.

HIB, Pneumococcal, Hep B, Hep A: Nope, I feel my kids are not at high risk for these being breastfed and at home. I may consider giving Hib at 9-12 months.

MMR and Varicella: I see no reason for giving these shots. I would rather my kids get sick with these than risk the effects of the shots. Ruebella will be considered for my adolescent girls. The risks from ruebella are to unborn babies whose mothers get the disease.

I am still not done researching and may change my mind before I'm through, but this is what I have so far. Any comments are welcome.


Desiree in TX