C scheduled 6/13 - doc says spinal?

iVillage Member
C scheduled 6/13 - doc says spinal?
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 9:01am
Anyone have experience.... I have to admit the only ones I have seen are on "Birth Day" and they all look worse than epidurals.

Any help?

Thanks - Dana (41) Dave (40) and EDD #1 "Little Girl" 6/13.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 12:11pm
I too was worried about getting a spinal, because my epidural worked so well the first time. Actually it was 100% better than my epidural. It didn't hurt as much going in, it wore off quicker, so I was in recovery only 1 hour compared to 3 hours with an epidural, and I didn't feel as many side effects like shaking. Really, it is so much better.

Hope that helps!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 1:18pm
I had a spinal when my DD was born by c/c 2 months ago. Putting it in was painless - literally one tiny prick - the IV hurt more. The feeling was a little strange, I had no sensation below mid-chest - but that is the point right!? It took a few hours for the sensation to come back but I walked to the bathroom (with help - I was a little woozy) about 6 hours later. I have no idea what an epidural is like, but the spinal worked great for me.

Ann and Leah 2/10/03

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 2:34pm
Your responses make me feel better! Always nice to hear from someone that has been there!

Dana

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 9:27pm
I had a c-section in March, and they used a combination spinal/epidural. The epidural was there just in case surgery went longer or I needed more meds. Actually, they ended up using the epidural because the spinal didn't numb me up enough. I've always needed pretty high doses of medications compared to the average to respond. So I was lucky the epidural was in. There wasn't anything unusual or lengthy about the surgery, just my response to meds.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 12:18am
Don't worry. I had an epidural for my first c-section and a spinal for my second. I think the spinal hurt a little more going in (it just lasts for a second), but it took effect really, REALLY fast and wore off sooner so I didn't feel paralyzed forever. Plus, I was having contractions when they put my epidural in and not when they put the spinal in, so maybe the pain was relative. Also, the spinal is just a shot so they don't have to remove anything from your back like they do with an epidural. Good luck and congratulations!