On the fence

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-01-2004
On the fence
3
Tue, 01-12-2010 - 9:06am

I am on the fence as to whether I want to attempt a VBAC or go for a repeat c-section for my second pregnancy.

My name is Amy Lynn. I have an 11 year old son. He was born c-section because he was breech. I have a heart shaped uterus. It is a large dip and the right horn is more developed the the left side. Which means head up or butt up my babies will settle into the right side eventually and get stuck in that position. They are unable to turn themselves around past 30 weeks and it is unsafe for me and baby to have a doctor try to turn the baby from the outside.

My doctor said he is willing to attempt a VBAC with me if this baby settles in head down. But if this is baby is breech he will only do a c-section. DH and I agree with this idea. Right now this kid is very comfortable sitting breech when we have looked during ultrasounds. LOL So it is still up in the air for now.

But the more DH and I discuss it the more unsure I am as to what I want to do. I was positive before that I wanted to attempt a VBAC if given the opportunity. But now I am starting to worry about the risks. I have been reading that only 60% of mom's attempting a VBAC actually succeed and the other 40% end up having a c-section again anyway. I do not want to go through labor just to turn around and have a c-section. I did that once with my son. It was very frustrating. I do not want to do it again. DH is freaked out about the risk of rupture even though it is small. We would like to have more children some day. And of course I keep hearing about woman who rupture and are unable to stop bleeding and have a hysterectomy.

So anyway ladies what do you think? What are the pros and cons of a repeat c-section? Did you or would you choose a repeat c-section? Any views on VBAC?

Photobucket









PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-15-2009
In reply to: amy3lynn3
Tue, 01-12-2010 - 1:11pm

Hi, Amy Lynn-


Welcome to the board!

 

reena050809.jpg 0809 picture by reena102

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-18-2009
In reply to: amy3lynn3
Wed, 01-13-2010 - 1:18am

Hi Amy Lynn and Welcome!


Congratulations on expecting #2! Well, I think you're thinking about all the right stuff..

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-26-2008
In reply to: amy3lynn3
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 12:24pm

Also, keep in mind that the baby's size will come into play. I really wanted a vbac with my 2nd baby, (my twins were breech...) and there was really no reason I couldn't have one except that at 37 weeks he was measuring almost 9 lbs. My doctor checked my cervix at 37 and 38 weeks. I was not dilated at all...closed up tight. Babies grow approximately an ounce a day the last few weeks of pregnancy. It was VERY likely I would go full term (and beyond) which was looking like a 10-11 lb baby. I really don't have the pelvis size for such a large baby (maybe if I'd had one vaginally prior which wasn't my case). The doctor also won't induce because it makes contractions too strong which increases the chance of uterine rupture.

So we made a deal, if I went into labor before my scheduled c-section, he wouldn't stop it, but otherwise I'd have the section. I delivered 13 days before my due date via c-section, he was 8lbs 12oz, 21 inches (and his head was HUGE)...doctor assured me, there would have likely been an emergency c-section cause he wouldn't have fit.

This all being said, I still regret not doing the VBAC because my son ended up in the NICU because there was a lot of fluid in his lungs that didn't get squeezed out during the birthing process. 7 days..4 on a machine to help him breathe...so, if it were me, I'd attempt the vbac if baby looks like he/she's a good size, in position, etc...but that's just me....

Photobucket