Getting really scared

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-15-2007
Getting really scared
2
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 6:30pm

Hi - I've been a lurker here for awhile, and I've learned a lot reading the posts on this board.

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-26-2008
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 6:59pm

I didn't have a choice with my first...I was having twins and they were both breech. So, it was very "calm" as far as the procedure...I knew exactly what was happening and why.

My 2nd c-section was elective, and honestly, it's a decision I regret. I had planned on a VBAC, but my local hospital changed policy when I was in my 3rd trimester. I had the option of switching OB's and going to a different hospital, and I chose the "familiar" over the "unfamiliar." My son ended up in the NICU due to resp distress caused by the fluid in his lungs (that wouldn't have been there had I done a vaginal delivery). Though in all liklihood, a VBAC wouldn't have been successful (this is what I tell myself anyway). I think we scheduled it too early, and at 9 days before his due date he was almost 9 lbs and had a HUGE head...my ob checked me the day before I delivered and i wasn't even one cm dilated. So if I'd gone the full 40+ weeks, he probably would've been a good 10 lbs and wouldn't have fit...(I repeat this over and over again when I start getting regretful..no point in rehashing what could've been).

I'm expecting c-section number 3 in August. I would've loved to VBAC, but it's not really an option (too lengthy to go into) even though I'm going to bring it up again because there have been some new studies that have come out on multiple c/s. We will be having an amnio at 39 weeks to check lung maturity, and it's likely we'll be waiting until I start labor before doing the surgery...

My primary motivation in vbac is the health of my children. Having 2 in the nicu for conditions that would've been prevented if they'd been born vaginally, I just am dreading that first hour post op. Personally, my recovery, etc are fine...they could be better, but I'm allergic to pain killers, so following the spinal, I'm put on benadryl which makes me a bit "out of it" and I don't have anything else the remainder of my recovery. But I recover quickly, have little pain, and am able to lift my kids pretty much as soon as the staples are out. I know a lot of stuff can go wrong (infection, etc) but I try and remember it could happen to anyone, with any delivery.

I think the questions you need to ask are, "Why is a VBAC out of the equation?" (small pelvis?, big babies?, etc). I think this will help you exclude it as an option which will make it easier to stomach a c/s. Though, I'd also ask "Is my doctor just saying this because he doesn't want to deal with a vbac?" "Am I willing to labor and accept another ER c-section?" "HOw will a scheduled c/s be different from an ER?" "Is there a way to help my recovery a 2nd time around?" There is no shame in choosing a c-section, the idea of a rupture is scary...the idea of an ER c/s is scary...the idea of laboring and still having a c/s is scary...I hope you can be at peace with your decision whatever it may be...

Photobucket

Photobucketblinkie

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-20-2006
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 10:19pm

I am 15 weeks now, but decided on a cs already. My daughter was born
by unplanned cs after 22 hours of labor, little progression and the beginning of stress on the baby.

I am actually more comforted knowing that I won't go through that again. And that there could be some sort of planning for the care of my 3 year old, so long as I go full term. I didn't have a horrible recovery though, so maybe that makes a difference.

Vbac is an option available to me--it just stresses me out more.

Good luck whatever you decide is best for you!