Newbie here-- c/s on 10/10!!

iVillage Member
Newbie here-- c/s on 10/10!!
Sun, 09-14-2008 - 9:50pm

Hi ladies,

My name is Lulu and I'm 35 weeks today. I'll be having a c/s next month and I thought I'd introduce myself here-- oh, and I have a few questions, too :0)

I've been diagnosed with placenta previa since 20 weeks and have had about a zillion ultrasounds since then, which all show no movement at all. I do have one final u/s scheduled for the end of the month, but my DH and I had a really frank discussion with my OB about the chances of it moving up at this point and we agreed that while there's a possibility that it will have moved, we should go ahead and schedule the c/s.

So we're now scheduled for 10/10, and I'm really excited to know our baby's birthday, although I'm also feeling a bit shocked because all of a sudden, it's coming up really soon (my EDD is the 19th). But we know this will most likely be the safest delivery option, so my DH and I are pretty calm and happy about the whole thing.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-14-2008 - 10:17pm

Congrats on your pregnancy!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2008 - 3:21pm

Hi, welcome, and congrats!

You sound like you've done a good job educating yourself, and that you're ready for your son to come into your life.

Flags of USA & Canada crossed

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2008 - 5:23pm

Wow, 5 c-sections! My goodness, you really are a BTDT :) It's so nice to get advice from other moms who have a better idea of what to expect. I hadn't even considered that the hospital might provide me with a postpartum support garment-- I know my insurance would pay for this, so I'll definitely have to ask about it. And you brought up another good point that I haven't asked about yet: I have no idea what kind of incision I'll be getting. I assumed it would be the standard transverse incision, but I know that the placenta position can sometimes influence what type of cut is made, so I'll have to find out. I just don't want to be surprised afterwards!

LOL, yeah, I figured if I did end up shaving, DH would have to help out because there's no way I can see well enough down there at this point.

Thanks for the tips!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Its A Boy Blinkie
pregnancy week by week

Baby Slings at Nurtured Family Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2008 - 5:30pm

Heather,

I'm glad to hear you had a great c/s experience. I feel like going into it with the attitude that it's going to be a positive birth experience really makes a difference, and it's so good to hear from BTDTs that didn't have issues with it. Most of the comments I'm getting IRL are kind of a downer because everyone wants to tell me how sorry they are that "it didn't work out," and yet I'm not really mourning the loss of a vaginal birth experience because I've been prepared for this possibility since my u/s at 20 weeks. I just want my baby to be born in the safest possible way, and since that happens to be a c/s, I'm okay with it. Nice to talk to ladies who understand that there's more than one way to have a 'successful' birth.

Okay, enough rambling-- I really appreciate your perspective as an OR nurse! I would never have thought about the possibility of infection due to razor nicks, but of course that makes sense. I guess I could use my DH's beard trimmer, LOL. But I'll definitely ask about shaving at my pre-op appointment, because it sounds like this is another one of those things that really varies from hospital to hospital.

Thanks again so much for your input!!

Its A Boy Blinkie
pregnancy week by week

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2008 - 9:09pm
Welcome to the board. I want to say congrats on making it this far in your pg. My sister had the same thing & was delivered at 29 weeks.
I did get shaved at the hospital right on top of the incicion area. I was not able to hold my ds right away due to complications. I was also given a support belt at the hospital. My dr said to only use it when necessary though & never tight. I had a dresser next to my bed & will again this time that I used to help pull myself out of bed.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2008 - 11:54pm
Just wanted to jump in and say Welcome and congratulations on your baby boy!!! Keep us posted on how things go with your C section!!
Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2008 - 3:06pm

Rachel,

Thank you! I feel lucky that I haven't had any bleeding episodes from the previa and no signs of PTL throughout this pregnancy, either. 29 weeks would be such a scary time to have to deliver, although I know it happens all the time.

I'm sorry you had complications that kept you from being able to hold your son at first-- that's been one of my fears all along, that I won't be able to be with him right away. Even though my hospital is very much on board with getting moms and babies together as soon as possible after the c/s, I guess something unexpected could always happen and I might find myself unable to hold Jack right away, too. Good to keep in mind, although of course I hope that doesn't happen! Thanks for the feedback, and nice to 'meet' you :)

Its A Boy Blinkie
pregnancy week by week

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2008 - 3:07pm

Heide,

What a great spelling of your name, BTW-- very unique. Thanks so much for saying hi! I'm really glad to have found this board and I'll definitely keep stopping by in the weeks leading up to the c/s. And, of course, afterwards, to post my birth story :)

Its A Boy Blinkie
pregnancy week by week

Photobucket

Photobucket