Newbie here with section questions...

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-28-2003
Newbie here with section questions...
4
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 3:31pm
Hi. DD #1 came 11 days early, at a little over 38 weeks. My water broke at 4 a.m. It was discovered that due to scar tissue on my spine I am unable to have an epi or a spinal. Long story short, after pitocin, 20 hrs of labor, and only IV medicine, I had to have a section w/general anesthesia. My options this time are 1)deliver almost naturally, VBAC, with only meds in my IV, or 2)section w/general again, only this time planned. I am 23 weeks now, and will meet w/ the Dr tomorrow, but just wanted your thoughts. I am afraid I will go early again, and am worried about nursing right away ( I nursed DD for a year, but she had formula at first, which I'd like to avoid this time.) What are some good things to ask the Dr? To complicate things, I'm supposed to be a reader in my closest cousin's wedding 3 weeks before my EDD...Thanks!

Veronique, #2 EDD 10/12 - section date ???

 
Véronique (38)
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-1998
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 3:49pm
How much would you like to (and do you think you can) VBAC? What I'd worry in your case IS the general anesthetic. The reason they hardly do general anesthesia except for emergencies is that the baby is VERY sedated when s/he comes out, and they have to give them an antidote to the drugs to make them breath. Plus, although MOST babies do well, they schedule c-sections 1-2 weeks early as a rule. If you are willing to tolerate some labor, you could go for a "planned but unscheduled" c-section, when labor starts. Doctors HATE to suggest that option; for them it's the worst of both worlds, but for the baby it means they are less likely to have any immaturity issues.

Do you think labor might go any better the second time? I'm of the opinion that too much monkeying with the process can cause the need for a c-section (so there are often different things you can try the 2nd time). Or it might have been positioning, or you might have almost made it the last time, and you'd have good odds even if you do everything the same way.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-28-2003
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 8:03pm
I would like to try a VBAC, IF IF IF I could have an epi or a spinal, which I can't. The only meds I'd get would be through an IV....which were of no help last time. After 20 hours, 10 of which I was on pitocin, I was only dilated to 6 c.m., with some fetal distress...argh.... I don't like either option....1)VBAC with only IV meds (almost natural) or 2)Planned section with general anesthesia...


Veronique

 
Véronique (38)
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-21-1998
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 8:32pm
I did my VBAC totally natural, and would recommend it. I'm not trying to brag, but if you haven't considered it, you should at least find out more. It's totally different to take control of the pain than to wait (with each additional moment another failure) for someone to MAYBE get rid of it for you. And I have a sneeking suspicion that narcotics in your system are only good insofar as you can use them as a relaxation aid, and worthless otherwise. (I've heard too many stories that go "All the drugs did was confuse and frighten me.") If you avoid ALL the drugs, you could check into hypnosis, hot tubs, massage & the like. Sometimes they call hot tubs "the midwife's epidural". That should suggest an alternative.

Pitocin tends to work against you, and should not be administered to a VBAC, either. Avoiding that would help you, too.

If you don't like either choice, check out other options, even if they sound crazy at first.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-25-2003
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 10:54pm
My opinion is that if you are able . . . vaginal is better. Just because you had a horrible time last time doesn't mean it will be the same this time. Each pregnancy is different.

On the otherhand. I had two of my children under general anesthesia. I wasn't able to nurse the first . . . due to inexperience, I had no problem nursing my second.

Ann