Scheduled c-section & GBS testing

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Scheduled c-section & GBS testing
2
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 3:22pm
I am scheduled for my 3rd c-section on May 15, this is my 1st planned one. With both my other 2 I had tried for a vaginal birth and was tested for Group B Strep, I think around 36 wks. I am now a little over 37 wks. My dr hasn't mentioned it and I forgot to ask at my appt yesterday because I had so many other things to ask him about. I started thinking that maybe I wouldn't even need the test because I was not having a vaginal birth and even if I go into labor will choose the c-section. But I don't want to put the baby in any danger if I do need it. I only have 1 more appt to go before the surgery so wasn't even sure if there was still time to do the test. Any thoughts?

Tammy

 

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 4:42pm
i'm having a scheduled c/s on may 21 and I got swabbed for GBS today. it doesn't take long for the results to come back. 'm not sure if its absolutely needed w/ a c/s, but better to know in case I do go into labor and don't make it in time!

sybil

Avatar for dawniellel
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 10:17am
My experience with this was a little confusing. When I was pg the second time, I asked my OB about the GBS test at about 35 or 36 weeks. She said it wasn't necessary because the baby would not be traveling down the birth canal and therefore would not be exposed to GBS (I was GBS+ with 1st pg). I mentioned that if I went in to labor I might change my mind and decide to try the VBAC, so she then did the swab. It was +, so I mentioned this when I went in to have my c/s. My water broke ahead of my scheduled c/s date, so it was not my OB taking care of me when I went in. The Dr. who admitted me put me on the IV antibiotics anyway and waited to take me back for the c/s until they had infused one whole bag of penicillan. I keep forgetting to ask my OB about whether or not the antibiotics were really necessary since I had the c/s anyway. I would just ask your OB I guess...

Dawnielle 3rd c/s planned in July