scheduled CS?

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-10-2006
scheduled CS?
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 8:46pm

I had a CS for was emergency, I pushed for 2 hours and

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-26-2008
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 9:58pm

First of all, if you are interested in a VBAC, I suggest you research it. It "sounds" like you might be a candidate. It can't hurt to find out what your options are in that regards.

Secondly, most providers if they're doing a c/s prefer for you not to go into labor. One of the big reasons is that labor strains your uterus which could cause uterine rupture. (Probably a super small chance in your case). Also, if you go into labor, there's a greater chance baby's head will engage in the pelvis and it makes the surgery "scarier" for both you and baby. NOt to say they can't do it, but they prefer not to.

That being said, you can request to have your c/s as close to 40 weeks as possible (don't let them schedule before 39 for sure unless you have a medical condition). There's always the chance you could go into labor before your scheduled date.


Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
iVillage Member
Registered: 08-16-2004
Sat, 07-03-2010 - 12:41am
I haven't asked my dr yet about when he typically schedules the surgery. Since my two kids were both born post dates, DD I went into labor naturally at 41w1d, I think I would rather wait as long as possible to schedule. Laboring before the surgery has it's benefits, as does having broken membranes. It's beneficial and thus not dumb to tell your dr of your preference. If I was to go through all that though I might as well just try for VBAC ya know? I don't have a set plan yet but I think I will get regular chiropractic this time and hope it helps me go into labor before my due date since it's doubtful any OB would schedule a c/s post due date.


Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-18-2009
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 11:25pm

I agree that you should really look into VBAC and see if there is anything that would prevent you from trying for one! There is a great VBAC board here on IV and the ladies over there can give you some additional informaiton or answer any questions that you might have.

In terms of having

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-04-2009
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 11:44am

I have had 2 c-secs, the first was emergency after I'd labored 17 hours and baby's heartrate dropped.